[p2p-research] Authority, Representation and Secession in a P2P Network

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 06:26:51 CEST 2010

it seems to me that the basic distinction between abundant and scarce
resources remain valid,

in the case of an abundant resource, abuse doesn't really matter, and
sharing is easy,

but in the case of a rival and scarce good, if someone who does not
contribute to its production of renewal, takes it all away, the rest of the
contributors are left with nothing,

this is why non-reciprocal exchange with a commons work better in the case 1
than in case 2, but of course, these are not absolute distinctions but
polarities, no or very few resources are absolutely abundant  or absolutely
scarce,

so a good start is to identify where that polaritiy is situated, and for me
the great social innovation of peer production is precisely that, i.e. it no
longer treats abundant resources as if they were scarce, and so can rely on
non-reciprocal contributions in the immaterial aspects

as we move towards conditionality, then the matter becomes also value
driven, i.e. conditioned on what,

shall we just give the power of absolute destruction (root power) to
everyone, or under what conditions would this happen,

in p2p context this is mostly dependent on merit/contributions as opposed to
prior hierarchy,

important is that the rules of the game are open and transparent, and
changeable (again under certain conditions and procedures that are known to
all),

root power can only be "constitutionally challenged", since it is expressive
of the basic value of the community

democratic procedures only need to intervene in areas of scarcity, not in
areas of abundance, since in the latter case, diversity is not an issue

Michel