[p2p-research] Authority, Representation and Secession in a P2P Network

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 00:53:15 CEST 2010

In my research lately I've noticed that there's at least 2 places where
representation is used...places might not be the right term.

In many systems there are issues around time.  On one hand peers don't have
enough time to participate in governance.  For some reason.  On the other
hand, the "horizon" for a resource...for renewal, exapansion etc, that
horizon is only interesting to certain people.

So, time is a place where representation is used.  The reasons for
representation vary with the number of perspectives represented in the
system, but time seems to be a mitigating factor.

Another place is merit, knowledge, or expertise.  It goes the same route.
 Some peers don't have time to develop expertise, while others with
expertise develop a following a people who trust them to proxy as a rep.

It is likely that any 'currency commons' has similar dynamics, with a set of
perspectives.  I've been wondering about a list of such things.  We had the
P2P Metrics page and I was intending to write something there about how we
look at systems from the inside and outside as data points.  Then you have
how peers examine the same things, like reputation and merit and time for
resources and themselves from inside the system.

Perhaps representation comes in every time anyone feels a form of
'insufficiency' with something like time or expertise.  That representation
isn;t always explicit.

What I find troubling about representation systems is that they endure
without getting a rebuild, of the system, the logic and the perspectives.
 They just sit there, relevant or not to current goings-on.  I've seen the
best intentioned people abuse such things.  I would call it abuse because
the use of assumptions about the correctness of an already existing system
substitutes for a re-examination of the system and its utility.

I'm of the opinion that 'currency commons' like the one for time and
expertise, that interact all the way around the
subject/intersubjective/objective/interobjective loop are one way to examine
how this functions.  I think a fully fractal system should take this into
account, somehow, and it's exhausting, so we need some basic rules like
simple cellular automata to handle iteration so as to avoid the huge bog
down of figuring it all out ahead of time.

Lately I've been doing a little side course in Modal Logic, which is used
for inference of potentia.  It's related to this and sort of
'currency independent.  I'd recommend it as a way of thinking about such
things that's more robust and lighter weight than specialized rules for
every currency, which I think are silly.

Alex