[p2p-research] Tyranny of Majority was "Why do we not choose Permaculture?"

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 09:06:00 CEST 2010

In reading more pages on systems theory the last couple of weeks I have been
trying to see what I could learn about how behavior and attitudes percolated
through social systems.  I'm interested in decision making processes in
particular, and the simple spread of behavior, a common research subject, is
a sort of decision making.

I offered no simple solutions in my email, but I did make note of some
directions I am looking in, and was wondering about what others have found.

The processes of interacting with the environment all the way up to
delivering global goods are complicated, for sure, but it seems that we
don't have many "common" or well understood ways of beginning to discuss
these processes without getting into the issues or solutions.

For example, a number of means exist to discuss interactions in production
processes, but we don't seem to get enough training in using these tools to
be able to use them to understand the system that touch us regularly.

When it comes to something like "quality of life," a subject so vast as to
defy all real attempts to nail it down, we are still unable to discuss the
subject much less make decisions about it.

We can speculate, sure...

Have others found success with notation systems, or a particular language,
for diagramming complex system interactions?  Clarity around decision making
would be only one of many possibilities to come out of such skills, were
they more widespread.