[p2p-research] Fwd: "bio-power" mapping ? - Cartography of migration flows

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:49:53 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM
Subject: "bio-power" mapping ? - Cartography of migration flows
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, Shailoh Phillips <
shailohphillips at gmail.com>

http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/2010/04/27/cartography-of-migration-flows/

" power of information society has shifted its focus from territory to
population (biopower). Consequently, mapping has been reconsidered not only
in terms of production of space and place, but also people who inhabit that
space (Pickles, 2002). Furthermore, ‘mapping’ no longer refers only to
physical and geospatial but has extended to other social phenomena such as
social networks, socio-political relationships between actors, email
conversations, militarization etc. We are presented with a new challenge –
to visualize / map new mobilities of people, information and goods (or what
Castells <http://www.manuelcastells.info/en/> calls ‘network societies’ and
Apadurai <http://www.appadurai.com/>“cultural flow’).

According to Crampton <http://monarch.gsu.edu/jcrampton/> critical mapping,
which highlights the politics of mapping is one of the current cartography
trends. This trends reflects in migration cartography, where critical
mapping has become a tool of counter-knowledge, “a polemical weapon’, in an
effort to influence political debates and policies points Williams
Walter<http://www2.carleton.ca/eurus/faculty-and-staff/research-associates/walters-william/>.
In the article “The contested Cartography of ‘Illegal Immigration’, he is
concerned with how cultural practices and in particular mapping and
cartography relate to anti-political economy. "