[p2p-research] unique identity to every citizen

Nagarjuna G nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Fri Apr 30 06:58:56 CEST 2010

In India the govt constituted an authority to create unique identity
to each citizen, and they plan to scan all ten fingers, iris and
photograph of every face and create an infrastructure.  Obviously they
will be using and spending a lot of infrastructure.  the official
website is here. http://uidai.gov.in/  About 2billion rupees have been
allocated for this year alone for implementing this project.  Mapping
i billion people and keeping their records is a massive job and I do
not know if any such venture was undertaken before.

Even if they use FOSS for this infrastructure, a centralized Govt
could misuse and it may not always be used in the interest of
citizens.  We cannot justify the project because they will use free
software for the purpose.  I am not against using technology for
governance, but how should that be is a question.  What guidelines
could one suggest?

>From a p2p governance view point, what do you think are the important
factors to be taken into consideration.  What rights should citizens
have on their data, and what protection should Govt provide?
Shouldn't govt ask the citizen each time such data is being used.  How
can citizens monitor?  Can we insist that such a data cannot be opened
without the key in the custody of the citizen.  There can be many such
questions ...

I have a chance to send them my concerns.  Though they may not listen
to us, it is good to send them an articulated response, which may help
generate opinion.  I need to send them before 5th of May.  Can any of
you send me some pointers to documents some of you may have written on
this subject or related subjects.

--
GN