[p2p-research] Is the future of distributed manufacturing in China?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 15:50:42 CEST 2010

Hi Michel,

I would immediately defer to Sam, but I have spent some considerable time
catching up on this topic particularly with regard to "rep rap" which
interests me at a number of levels.

First, machines are getting smaller...owning old manufacturing capacity is a
waste of time.  Surprisingly often, machines in US plants are WW2 era
technologies.  I've been in them and seen this first hand.  India has the
option of moving forward by buying such technologies, but China is already
there to a large extent.  It is US naivete about the Chinese to think they
are "behind" in most areas of manutech.  Further, Japan is generally ahead
of the US in most of these areas.  If China wanted it, they'd buy/steal it
from Japan.

Second, economies of scale are what is dying...so the whole theory of the
note is silly.

Third, the real innovations are coming not it stuff but in electronics and
especially bionics.

Fourth, the major area of change isn't so much CNC screw and cutting tools
as it is in 3D printers.

If you want to watch this space for small system developments, do a few
persistent google searches on "rep rap"   It is moving fast, but it isn't
there yet, and the momentum is for small plants...as it has been.  Italy is
quite the leader for odd reasons (mostly tax avoidance).  They build
eye-glass frames, belt buckles, watch and pen parts, etc. for high-end
brands.  It is an excellent economic strategy.

If I were a co-op now, I'd build elite high price products on open
source/free technology foundations.  That's the way to compete.  It could be
chocolates, wine, pen nibs, ties, high end shoes, etc.  Luxury items are
where the cash is still flowing.  Co-ops should take that cash by joining in
the production stream while high returns are still feasible.  Soon they will
be gone.

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham