[p2p-research] From the earth to the sky, from a speech by red shirt leader Natthawut Saikua in December 2008

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:32:50 CEST 2010

*From the earth to the sky, from a speech by red shirt leader Natthawut
Saikua in December 2008:*
**
*(more details about the thai commoners, here at
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/who-are-the-red-shirts-details-on-the-thai-commoner-phrai-movement/2010/04/28
)*

*“..We’re denied many things. We’re denied justice; respect in the way
governmental bodies treat us; accurate and direct reporting about us in the
media. We’re denied the chance to openly declare our fight – to openly and
directly declare, with our clarity and sincerity, what it is that we are
fighting for.*

*What’s most important for us all to remember, brothers and sisters, is that
we are the salt of the earth. We are the people with no privileges.*

*We were born on the land. We grew up on the land. Each step that we take is
on this same land. We stand, with our two feet planted here, so far away
from the sky.*

*Tilting our heads fully upwards, we gaze at the sky, and we realise how far
away that sky is.*

*Standing on this land, we only have to look down to realise that we are
worth no more than a handful of earth.*

*But I believe in the power of the redshirts. I believe our number is
growing day-by-day, minute-by-minute. Even though we stand on this land, and
we speak out from our place among the earth, our voice will rise to the sky.
Of this I have no doubt.*

*The voice we’re making now – our cries and shouts – is the voice of people
who are worth only a handful of earth. But it is the voice of the people who
were born and grew up on this land, and it will rise to the level of the
sky.*

*We, the redshirts, want to say to the land and sky that we too have heart
and soul. We, the redshirts, want to remind the land and sky that we too are
the Thai people. We, the redshirts, want to ask the land and sky whether we
have been condemned to seek, by ourselves, a rightful place to plant our
feet here..”*