[p2p-research] It's the Economy, Stupid—But Not in Britain

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 21:00:00 CEST 2010

"London the most unequal city it the world"

Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: It's the Economy, Stupid—But Not
in Britain via Big Think by seddonm at verizon.net (Mark Seddon) on 4/27/10

Here then is the hidden truth that none of the established political
parties will tell the electorate in this, the penultimate week in what
is fast proving to be one of the most unpredictable General Elections
in modern times. Whichever party is elected, or whatever coalition may
have to be assembled, the respected and independent Institute for
Fiscal Studies say that deep public expenditure cuts—of between £47
Billion to £56 Billion—will have to be made over the next four-year
cycle.

Loosely translated, this means that Britain is about to enter into a
period of austerity not witnessed since the OPEC-induced economic
meltdown of the 1980s. But Britain will enter this new age of austerity
with add-on handicaps. For one, the gap between rich and poor has not
been this great since Victorian times. London is now the most unequal
city in the Western World. Yes, that means London is more divided and
unequal than New York. To this may be added the unpalatable truth that
our manufacturing base is wizened, and our industrial base virtually
disappeared. And just before we move on from this cocktail of gloom,
Britain’s North Sea Oil is about to run out, and the banking crisis has
left the de-regulated City of London reeling like a Highland dancer.

In the heads and hearts, most Britons know this to be true. They also
understand that they, rather than the greedy bankers or many of the
tax-avoiding, money-laundering super-wealthy, are about to catch it in
the neck. Not surprisingly, the main political parties who are keen to
paint themselves as representing “hope over fear” have manifestly
misread the national mood, which veers from contempt to outright fury.

Hence the fluidity in the polls, most of which have some pecuniary
attachment to a vested interest allied to various press barons.
Although there has been at least a degree of consistency over the fact
that the first televised debate put the least unsullied of the
political leaders, Nick Clegg and his Liberal Democrats, in the lead.
But overall the Conservatives just have it, followed by the Liberal
Democrats, with Labour—the ruling party—in third place, potentially
facing a squeeze.

Since the main parties have only one more week of trying to keep the
lid on the great debate that should have been taking place—the
economy—my guess is that the Conservatives will claw back some support,
as voter begin to fret over what a “hung Parliament” and a coalition
Government of back door deals might mean in practice. My prediction,
for what it is worth, is that the Conservative will achieve a small
overall majority, Labour will be reduced to its heartlands, the Liberal
Democrats will do well and there will be some major local upsets, not
least in Buckingham where I live. Here the Speaker of the House of
Commons, sullied by his expense claims could yet go down in flames.

But if I am wrong, and no overall party emerges the winner, then it
could be partly due to the fact that all three will have ignored that
famous dictum from President Bill Clinton: “It’s the economy, stupid!”

Topics: Politics & Policy

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Big Think using Google Reader
favorite sites