[p2p-research] [OK] Re: [VBbuilders] Why and how work together?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 19:13:25 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> there are many structural problems against the success of coops, which
> means they have to develop their own ecology against initial resistance of
> the system ... nevertheless, after a long period of stagnation and
> neoliberalisation of the coop movement, steam is again picking up, including
> in thailand,
>
> ryan, see the article on agriculture that I put in the blog 2 days ago,
> it's very interesting, and indicative of what is happening,
>
> coops are already the largest employer in the world, beyond the number of
> all multinationals put together,
>
> Michel

I do not doubt your accuracy, but it begs more questions from me that I hope
you will blog to or mention here:

1. Where is the "how-to" industry of co-ops?  Where do I find how to do it
in a range of settings?
2. Why does your last point seem so surprising?  If this is known, why do
orgs like civil society and even UN type entities fail to promote co-ops?
3. Why has there been such little synergy between co-ops and
microfinance? -- microfinance is shrinking right now...people can't pay the
loans.  Co-ops would reduce risks.

Ryan