[p2p-research] [globalvillages] Ning eliminates free networks

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 17:44:35 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> the first thing is asking ourselves, but what it is for?

I offer:
Allowing users to post to the shared blog.
Publishing while minimizing overhead and admin time.
Building a web presence that is complimentary to the wiki
Publishing to the web so more people find the content through search
Inviting the wider community to enjoy the conversation instead of forcing
them to join the list.

> as i said, the social features and threading were the added value, but
> otherwise, the Ning site underperformed, and I was the only one taking care
> of admin tasks (but thanks to sepp especially for his forum articles which
> attracteda lot of discussion)

So, being able to find a profile and add that person to your 'friends' is
good.
Seeing comments as threaded replies is good.
Seeing a username on a comment and clicking through to the profile of that
person is good.

> this is what is appealing in alex' proposals, to devise a 3-year strategy
> for movement building and funding,

Would someone like to write a funding appeal for this effort?
Does anyone have a recommendation of a 'green' webhost for us?

what I'm doing with Sam, through civicCRM is devising a mailing list of our
> sympathizers, for some more specialized outreach purposes

Offering people the ability to manage subscriptions through a site is a very
professional approach.