[p2p-research] VERY urgent request for Ning

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 17:21:18 CEST 2010

> about creating a new community website different from the Ning.com
> one, it's also possible to use the existing blog @
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net , adding to it community features'
> module. Infact, cause P2P Foundation blog uses Wordpress, upgrading it
> at the last release, is possible to use the Buddypress module:
>
> http://buddypress.org/
>
> Buddypress is a neat add-on for word-press.  In general, though, Wordpress
was created for a blog, and adding additional features can be dangerous
compared to a more established CMS platform like Drupal.  That said, the
question is are people using 'social features?

Has anyone gone back to the Ning site to find friends and send them
messages?
Is anyone regularly adding Youtube videos?
What are the benefits of the Ning site that are different from that of the
blog?

After Buddypress installation, you can batch upload the Ning.com
> members using this plugin:
> http://manojkumar.org/bulk-import-members-users-plugin-for-buddypress-site/
>
> Imho using Buddypress on the existing blog is better than creating a
> new site, cause in this way is possible to easily create a community
> around existing blog contents, instead of making a new website with
> their duplicated contents.

It is possible to import the Wordpress blog into a new Drupal site as well.
 This is a really good thing.  The fewer pieces of software we run the
better, imho, and keeping it simple is a good thing, too.