[p2p-research] Fwd: [My-ci] Art & Labor Summit 22/4

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 15:17:15 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Subject: Fwd: [My-ci] Art & Labor Summit 22/4
To: Athina Karatzogianni <athina.k at gmail.com>, Michel Bauwens <
michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, Phoebe <pvm.doc at gmail.com>, Josef Davies-Coates <
jdaviescoates at gmail.com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stevphen Shukaitis <stevphen at autonomedia.org>
Date: Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:58 AM
Subject: [My-ci] Art & Labor Summit 22/4
To: mute-social at lists.metamute.org

  *Art & Labor Summit*
*
Cultural Workers, Artists, Students, and Interns Meet to Organise, Name
Names, and Coordinate Demands

April 22nd, 6pm-9pm

Cell Projects Space
258 Cambridge Heath Road
London E2 9DA
UK

Free entry and all welcome

We'd like you to join us for a special event and organizational party open
to all who are interested in the better understanding and active
transformation of the way art, free labour, and education work. Crises are
moments of great opportunity, as we all know, and those defunding and
devaluing our labour have been busy applying this knowledge. We invite your
active participation in an evening of events:

1. 'Show and Tell' - bring evidence of your current research, campaigns or
projects dealing with art and labour to share with the group.
2. 'Name and Shame' - collectively create a map of power structures on the
wall where we name our exploiters, quantify their exploits, draw the hidden
or overt links between them and chart the ideas that legitimize their
subsistence.
3. 'Coordinate Demands' - engage in small group discussions to identify your
demands.
4. 'Publish and Get Organised' - we will end the evening by having a look at
what we have created to decide where and how we want to publish a map of our
most urgent demands and discuss the experimental, pragmatic and sustainable
organisational techniques we can use to co-ordinate the next steps.

This event has been developed as a response and dialogue with the newspaper
and website “Art Work: A National Conversation about Art, Labor, and
Economics” recently published by Temporary Services. Pedro from 16 Beaver
has brought forty free copies of the paper from the US to distribute to
participants at the event in London, but you can also download the newspaper
as pdf or read the articles online here: http://www.artandwork.us.

This summit is co-organised by Carrot Workers Collective, Micropolitics
Group, Lottie Child, NEF (Eilis Lawlor), Ecosophy Group, Temporary
Services, ARTSCHOOL/UK, Sophie Hope and Pedro Lasch (16 Beaver)...more will
be added, so just contact us if you'd like to participate or help.

If you cannot attend the event, but would like to participate in the making
of the map long-distance, before, or after the event, just send us an email
at the addresses below.

For any messages, comments, or questions related to this event, contact
Sophie Hope - sophiehope[at]mac.com, or Pedro Lasch - plasch[at]duke.edu

   --
Stevphen Shukaitis
Autonomedia Editorial Collective

"Autonomy is not a fixed, essential state. Like gender, autonomy is created
through its performance, by doing/becoming; it is a political practice. To
become autonomous is to refuse authoritarian and compulsory cultures of
separation and hierarchy through embodied practices of welcoming
difference... Becoming autonomous is a political position for it thwarts the
exclusions of proprietary knowledge and jealous hoarding of resources, and
replaces the social and economic hierarchies on which these depend with a
politics of skill exchange, welcome, and collaboration. Freely sharing these
with others creates a common wealth of knowledge and power that subverts the
domination and hegemony of the master’s rule." - subRosa Collective