[p2p-research] open source hardware definition project

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 09:51:19 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David A. Mellis <dam at mellis.org>
Date: Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM
Subject: [GOSH] open-source hardware definition.
To: gosh at piksel.no
Cc: mako at atdot.cc, ayahbdeir at gmail.com

Hey guys,

At the opening hardware workshop at Eyebeam we went over many of the
same issues that were discussed at GOSH, so I wanted to try to tie the
two conversations together.  In New York, we decided to start by
defining open-source hardware in a way that those of us that practice
it can agree to.  We hope that this will help us to establish norms of
behavior for those using the term, similar to the way in which the
phrase "open-source" has a fairly clear meaning for software despite
the fact that it is not trademarked or otherwise legally protected.  I
see this as complementary to the organization and trademark approach
of OHANDA, and hope that both can help to define and promote
open-source hardware.

In particular, I wanted to get your opinions on the draft definition
at <http://freedomdefined.org/OSHW>.  This is a work-in-progress that
attempts to explain what we mean when we say open-source hardware, in
as straightforward a manner as possible.  Comments?  Suggestions?

I know that OHANDA is using a modified version of the FSF's four
freedoms, but I think there's room for multiple definitions, with
varying perspectives or approaches, as in open-source software (e.g.
four freedoms and the DFSG).  Do you think this definition is
something you'd be interested in supporting, as individuals,
particular OSHW projects, or through OHANDA?

David

P.S. If you're interested in continued discussion and development of
the definition, Ayah (in CC) should be able to add you to the opening
hardware mailing list that we've been using.