[p2p-research] VERY urgent request for Ning

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 04:49:46 CEST 2010

Josef, thanks for offer of Drupalgardens. I'll leave it up to Michel to decide.

Patrick, I've got a friend with whom I have already figured out how to
create clouds across internet. "Cloud" is accomplished in this case
with Eucalyptus, and requires newer hardware (a box typically costing
around US 250-300) and sound configuration.

Storage could be done with both newer and older hardware clusters, we believe.

I think we could get away with 3-5 participants. I have a good box,
and currently a good connection. My friend Keith would contribute a
server too, I believe. Anyone else?

Anyone have thoughts on logistics of this?

Patrick, I'd leave it up to you to take the lead on figuring out how
to share the physical sources, only because I have such limited time
to engage on that. But I'd trust your guidance there as I know you
have more than a little thought into this.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Samuel Rose wrote:
>> We can use ELGG as an alternative. It's just as nice as Ning. I'd be
>> glad to set it up... (GNU is looking at using it for GNUSocial right
>> now, too)
>
> Sam, are you saying you will pay the hosting costs yourself?
>
> That's fine at first, for small groups and little storage, but of
> course won't scale very far.
>
> This is a great opportunity for us to begin trying to tackle the
> complexities of co-ownership.
>
> Once we understand how to share the Physical Sources required for
> software, we can get serious about hosting email, video, applications
> (SaaS), and even Operating Systems (cloud).
>
> And once we understand how to share computer resources, we can use the
> same findings to begin sharing the far more important Sources of our
> Food and Shelter.
>
> Patrick

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation