[p2p-research] Fwd: CALL FOR PAPERS: E-Learning and Digital Media

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 01:00:34 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Araya <daniel at levelsixmedia.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:34 AM
Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS
To: kerkkee at gmail.com, michelsub2004 at gmail.com, nabelman at uiuc.edu,
onderci1 at illinois.edu, patel94 at illinois.edu, patrick.whitney at gmail.com

 Call for Papers

E-Learning and Digital Media

http://www.wwwords.co.uk/elea/

Special Issue

Editors: Michael A. Peters mpet001 at illinois.edu

& Daniel Araya daniel at levelsixmedia.com <dan at levelsixmedia.com>

Transforming American Education: Learning Powered by Technology

National Educational Technology Plan 2010, March 5, 2010

Office of Educational Technology U.S. Department of Education

The special issue will include invited articles as well as a selection of
submitted articles, with responses by Chris Dede and others. Please send a
title and abstract to both Editors as soon as possible
(mpet001 at illinois.edu and
daniel at levelsixmedia.com). Full papers are required by the end of September
2010.

The full report can be accessed at:
http://www.ed.gov/sites/default/files/NETP-2010-final-report.pdf
See also: http://www.ed.gov/technology/netp-2010

>From the Executive Summary:

A 21st Century Model of Learning Powered by Technology

The NETP presents a model of 21st century learning powered by technology,
with goals and recommendations in five essential areas: learning,
assessment, teaching, infrastructure, and productivity. The plan also
identifies far-reaching “grand challenge problems” that should be funded and
coordinated at a national level.

The challenging and rapidly changing demands of our global economy tell us
what people need to know and who needs to learn. Advances in learning
sciences show us how people learn. Technology makes it possible for us to
act on this knowledge and understanding.

Education is the key to America’s economic growth and prosperity and to our
ability to compete in the global economy. It is the path to good jobs and
higher earning power for Americans. It is necessary for our democracy to
work. It fosters the cross-border, cross-cultural collaboration required to
solve the most challenging problems of our time.

Under the Obama administration, education has become an urgent priority
driven by two clear goals. By 2020,

   - We will raise the proportion of college graduates from where it now
   stands [39%] so that 60% of our population holds a 2-year or 4-year degree.
   - We will close the achievement gap so that all students – regardless of
   race, income, or neighborhood – graduate from high school ready to succeed
   in college and careers.

These are aggressive goals and achieving them is a sizable challenge. Add to
the challenge the projections of most states and the federal government of
reduced revenues for the foreseeable future, and it is clear we need
cost-effective and cost-saving strategies that improve learning outcomes and
graduation rates for millions of Americans. Specifically, we must embrace
innovation, prompt implementation, regular evaluation, and continuous
improvement. The programs and projects that work must be brought to scale so
every school has the opportunity to take advantage of that success. Our
regulations, policies, actions, and investments must be strategic and
coherent.

National Educational Technology Plan Technical Working Group

Daniel E. Atkins, University of Michigan

John Bennett, Akron Public Schools

John Seely Brown, Deloitte Center for the Edge

Aneesh Chopra, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy

Chris Dede, Harvard University

Barry Fishman, University of Michigan

Louis Gomez, University of Pittsburgh

Margaret Honey, New York Hall of Science

Yasmin Kafai, University of Pennsylvania

Maribeth Luftglass, Fairfax County Public Schools

Roy Pea, Stanford University

Jim Pellegrino, University of Illinois, Chicago

David Rose, Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST)

Candace Thille, Carnegie Mellon University

Brenda Williams, West Virginia Department of Education

The special issue will include invited articles as well as a selection of
submitted articles, with responses by Chris Dede and others. Please send a
title and abstract to both Editors as soon as possible
(mpet001 at illinois.edu and
daniel at levelsixmedia.com). Full papers are required by the end of September
2010.

SYMPOSIUM JOURNALS
PO Box 204, Didcot, Oxford OX11 9ZQ, United Kingdom
Check out www.symposium-journals.co.uk for the contents
of our journals, with abstracts and full texts of all articles,
instructions for contributors, together with complete
editorial, bibliographical and subscription information.