[p2p-research] What if, globally speaking, the iPad is not the next big thing? What if the next big thing is small, cheap and not American?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 00:27:21 CEST 2010

It is a good article...spot on.  It is inevitable that corporate models must
push high value solutions (expensive and techy.)  It is equally inevitable
that the developing world will want cheap and simple.  The US did when it
was developing...things like the Colt handgun.

The divergence will impact China the most, but they are big enough to play
in both worlds...as the US has done.

There is huge demand for the sorts of enterprises that I think Sam Rose and
associates are trying, but I suspect the US is the wrong place to try them.
 They'd work better in Zambia or Serbia or Indonesia.

The "next big thing" is definitely nearly free...mass produced and
distributed.  It will be a set of small technology tools like a cell phone
that do a lot and cost a little.  Complexity is for the rich.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Matt Boggs <matt at digiblade.com> wrote:

> I believe we were all discussing this a month or so ago:
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/10/us/10iht-currents.html
>

> Cheers,
>

> Matt

Ryan Lanham