[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcf_discussion] Italian Minister proclaims himself a pirate

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 20:35:14 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paolo Brini <paolo.brini at iridiumpg.com>
Date: Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM
Subject: [fcf_discussion] Italian Minister proclaims himself a pirate
To: fcforum_discussion at list.fcforum.net

One of the most important ministers of Berlusconi government, Minister
for Internal Affairs Roberto Maroni of Lega Nord, confirmed in an
interview to "Panorama" to be a pirate, just like he proclaimed in 2006
when he was at the opposition and the left parties governed the country
and did nothing to change the law which treats piracy, even
non-commercial digital piracy, as a criminal infringement.

"I can't live without music" said the minister, who is also an author
and a musician with his band "District 51", "I listen to it everywhere,
at the ministry as well as in airplanes with iPod, and I sometimes
download it for free." The Minister added "I want to provoke here,
because I don't believe that file sharing must be treated with
disconnections like the french want to do. The solution is to create
sites in which people can download music for free and give a warrant of
compensation to authors through one or more sponsors".

In 2006 Roberto Maroni was at the center of a very famous interview on
piracy. When a journalist asked him if, as a politician and a musician,
he downloaded or bought music he replied that he liked to download and
share for free. When the astonished journalist asked him if he was aware
that sharing is a criminal infringement in Italy, Maroni replied "Of
course I am aware, I am aware that I illegally download music. I am not
like Bono who claims to be against major industry and becomes rich with
their money. Music must be downloadable for free. Look, I take the
chance to publicly denounce myself, I hope they will prosecute me so we
will finally bring this problem at the center of the Parliament debate".

The italian Radical Party reminded the minister that a draft law to
legalize file sharing of copyrighted contents in Italy is frozen since
more than two years: now that he is one of the most important and
influential ministers of italian government, isn't it time to push it on?

http://punto-informatico.it/2852520/PI/News/maroni-ministro-un-pirata.aspx
http://www.ilgiornale.it/interni/e_maroni_scarica_musica_web/09-04-2010/articolo-id=435978-page=0-comments=1

Regards,
Paolo