[p2p-research] London: Open source hardware user group (OSHUG)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:05:37 CEST 2010

From: <openmanufacturing+noreply at googlegroups.com<openmanufacturing%2Bnoreply at googlegroups.com>

Date: Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM
Subject: [Open Manufacturing] Digest for
openmanufacturing at googlegroups.com- 2 Messages in 2 Topics
To: Digest Recipients
<openmanufacturing+digest at googlegroups.com<openmanufacturing%2Bdigest at googlegroups.com>

  Today's Topic Summary

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/topics

   - London: Open source hardware user group (OSHUG) (April 29th
2010)<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=nW3OxUDq0kU.en.&am=!8Ag9prYTo5-RtdzVEfQwWtk-RPp5B6pkOP7y9nhSnTdLfo_g&fri#127d2f222c921ea3_group_thread_0>[1
Update]
   - Apt-get for
Hardware<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=nW3OxUDq0kU.en.&am=!8Ag9prYTo5-RtdzVEfQwWtk-RPp5B6pkOP7y9nhSnTdLfo_g&fri#127d2f222c921ea3_group_thread_1>[1
Update]

 Topic: London: Open source hardware user group (OSHUG) (April 29th
2010)<http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/t/28dece893322fbcb>

   Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> Apr 05 04:06PM -0500
^<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=nW3OxUDq0kU.en.&am=!8Ag9prYTo5-RtdzVEfQwWtk-RPp5B6pkOP7y9nhSnTdLfo_g&fri#127d2f222c921ea3_digest_top>

   Oh look,

   http://oshugxmos.eventbrite.com/
   http://oshug.org/

   "The primary goal is to provide an environment in which those with an
   interest in open source hardware can meet, share experiences and learn
   from each other. It is hoped that events will be shaped by the wider
   user group membership, and whilst meetings are initially being held in
   London, they could be held anywhere."

   """
   Open Source Hardware User Group

   Event #1

   An Introduction to XCore XS1 & Amino
   Open source hardware is an approach to building physical objects with
   the principle of allowing collaborative development, use and tinkering
   through the liberal licensing of artefacts such as manuals, software,
   schematic diagrams and CAD documents. Typical open source hardware
   projects range from simple electronic circuits to digital and radio
   systems, through reprogrammable computing platforms, to hardware that
   combines elements of electronic, mechanical and software engineering,
   such as 3D printers and laser engravers.

   This is the first of what is hoped will become a regular event for
   people with an interest in open source hardware. For the inaugural
   meeting we are fortunate to have presentations from Prof. David May
   FRS, CTO of XMOS Semiconductor, and Alan Wood of Folknology Labs.

   XCore XS1 (XMOS)

   David May will be known to many as architect of the transputer and
   author of the concurrent programming language, occam. As co-founder
   and chief technical officer of XMOS Semiconductor, he will be
   providing an introduction to the XCore XS1 microprocessor architecture
   and the associated development environment. [actual abstract TBC]

   XMOS is a fabless semiconductor company that develops multi-core
   multi-threaded processors designed to execute several real-time tasks,
   DSP, and control flow all at once. XMOS coined the term
   software-defined silicon, and this can be seen as midway between FPGA
   and MCU. However, unlike an FPGA there is no requirement for a complex
   HDL toolchain, and C and C++ can be employed in development, with XMOS
   extensions to C for concurrency (XC).

   Amino (Folknology Labs)

   Amino: a networked creator tool for hardware and software production.
   XMOS software-defined silicon technology serves to blur the line
   between software and hardware, and Amino uses this technology to
   further blur the line between prototyping and production. Amino is
   also Internet native, event driven and optimised for concurrency, and
   may be seen as a building block for networked open source hardware
   creation.

   Alan Wood - a.k.a. Folknology - originally trained in systems
   engineering, got lost in software engineering and open source for a
   decade, before returning back to his hardware roots via the open
   source hardware and makers movement that has gathered momentum over
   the last few years. Al's interest lay in pushing the envelope for open
   source hardware/software production and agility: "We are approaching a
   tipping point where open source and open creation physically changes
   the real world not just the virtual world. With Amino we are selling a
   creative tool, not a finished product. We are selling possibilities.
   The participant decides what runs on it, not us. We just give them as
   much as we can to help them through that process.".

   At the conclusion of the formal part we plan to head across the road
   to a pub, for open discussion and to plan future events.

   Note:

   * Due to security arrangements it is vital that people arrive on
   time, or if possible slightly early - any time from 17:45 is fine. If
   there is nobody on reception please call 020 7960 1771 for access.
   * If capacity is reached and you would like to attend please
   contact us, we'll put you on a waiting list and may arrange a larger
   venue if there is sufficient demand.
   """

   Hopefully they will be interested in collaborating with the broader
   open source hardware community:
   http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing
   http://groups.google.com/group/diybio
   etc.

   - Bryan
   http://heybryan.org/
   1 512 203 0507

 Topic: Apt-get for
Hardware<http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/t/533f396315d8b30b>

   Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> Apr 05 01:22PM -0500
^<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=nW3OxUDq0kU.en.&am=!8Ag9prYTo5-RtdzVEfQwWtk-RPp5B6pkOP7y9nhSnTdLfo_g&fri#127d2f222c921ea3_digest_top>

   Hey all, [this was originally sent to the Austin Hackerspace mailing
   list]

   I am presenting at Texas Linux Fest 2010 this Saturday (April 10th) on
   one of the projects I contribute to, dubbed SKDB. Essentially, it's
   apt-get for hardware. Registration for the conference is $40 and it's
   up at the Marchesa Event Center in Austin, Texas. Here's the scoop on
   the project (but some links first!):

   http://designfiles.org/dokuwiki/skdb
   git: http://designfiles.org/skdb.git
   irc: #hplusroadmap on irc.freenode.net
   irc logs: http://gnusha.org/logs/ and http://gnusha.org/irclogs.txt

   And in particular, the talk abstract:
   http://texaslinuxfest.org/talks/2010/apt-get-for-hardware/

   """
   SKDB is a method for sharing hardware over the internet. By "hardware"
   we mean not just designs for circuit boards, but also biological
   constructs, scientific instruments, machine tools, nuts and bolts, raw
   materials, and how to make them.

   You don't need to reinvent the wheel every time you begin a new
   project. Someone out there has probably already done most or all of
   the work for whatever you are trying to do, and then released the
   plans on the internet. There are many common tools and parts involved
   in making things. If only we could just "get" everything automatically
   from the web, DIY manufacturing would be much easier. Essentially we
   want to do something like "apt-get" for Debian or "emerge" for Gentoo,
   the Linux software package managers. SKDB simplifies the process of
   searching for free designs, comparing part compatibility, and building
   lists of materials and components and where to get them. You could
   even say SKDB is "apt-get but for real stuff".

   In SKDB, hardware is organized into packages. Packages are a standard
   and consistent way for programs to find data. Packages may contain CAD
   files, CAM parameters, computer-readable descriptions of product
   specifications, product-specific code, and bill of materials. For each
   part in a package there are a number of interface definitions, which
   describe how the part can connect with other parts, even parts from
   other packages. Each package also lists dependencies which have to be
   bought or built in order to successfully carry out a project. For
   example a drill press is required to make holes with a certain level
   of accuracy. SKDB downloads all of the dependencies automatically and
   compares them to your existing inventory, and generates instructions
   for your CNC machinery if you have any.
   """

   There are some non-technical videos from a presentation I gave last
   December located here:
   http://gnusha.org/
   .. Gnusha is an open source hardware co-op that I have working with.
   The text on the page is from an update email on 2010-01-12, and more
   recently there was a huge update in late March that I haven't sent out
   (still editing?).

   I also wanted to bring up an idea that I will be focusing on at the
   shop w/ Les. I think the linux kernel is a good starting point for
   running a fablab, machine shop, hackerspace, techshop, or even a lab.
   Essentially what I would love to have is, not only apt-get for
   hardware, but also machines hooked up to /dev on a server. So, maybe
   the laser cutter is mounted on /dev or otherwise through cupsd with a
   printer driver, or some hardware-over-network protocol if a machine is
   hooked up to EMC on a dedicated box. I'd also like to build something
   like /dev/parts for a vending machine of small parts- imagine calling
   up `cat` on a file and pipping it to a vending machine, and out pop
   your parts for a quickie project.

   For now, part bins are more efficient, but I suspect the (vague) idea
   is coming across. Anyway, it would be an interesting way of organizing
   a shop. A while back I had some silly shell scripts that I wanted to
   eventually, one day, work:

   http://github.com/kanzure/shelltrance/blob/master/shelltrance.txt
   .. but it's easy to spot how that shell script could be improved
   significantly (like, wtf is up with the call to `mail`).

   - Bryan
   http://heybryan.org/
   1 512 203 0507