[p2p-research] Re(interest, credit): [Commoning] Re(markets without capital?): new post

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 19:28:02 CEST 2010

totally disagree Andreas,

interest is a key mechanism for infinite growth, in fact; it is not
compatible with a static society at all; which is why it was forbidden in
precapitalist times, and why getting rid of that prohibition was a central
ideological struggle for capital to emerge,

see the works of bernard lietaer and generally
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Money

following intro material:

The P2P Foundation supports the direct social production of money, such as
for example through Open Money <http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Money> and
other P2P Exchange Infrastructure
Projects<http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Exchange_Infrastructure_Projects>systems.
This marvellous presentation by Robin
Upton <http://www.altruists.org/f598> explains how this can work.

Key distinctions: Currencies <http://p2pfoundation.net/Currencies> ; Free
Currencies <http://p2pfoundation.net/Free_Currencies> ;
Wealth<http://p2pfoundation.net/Wealth>

For starters, read Eric Harris-Braun key argument: Why Monetary Design is
Important <http://p2pfoundation.net/Why_Monetary_Design_is_Important>

The following guide has all the essentials on Open
Money<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Money>and Complementary
Currencies <http://p2pfoundation.net/Complementary_Currencies> and is really
recommended, for beginners and practitioners alike:

   - Community Currency
Guide<http://p2pfoundation.net/Community_Currency_Guide>.
   by Bernard Lietaer and Gwendolyn Hallsmith. 2006
[2]<http://www.global-community.org/gc/newsfiles/25/Community%20Currency%20Guide.pdf>

It explains the following basics: 1) The Function of
Money<http://p2pfoundation.net/Function_of_Money>;
2) the Purpose of Money <http://p2pfoundation.net/Purpose_of_Money>; Cost
Recovery Mechanisms for Complementary
Currencies‎<http://p2pfoundation.net/Cost_Recovery_Mechanisms_for_Complementary_Currencies>
;
Currency Issuing
Procedures<http://p2pfoundation.net/Currency_Issuing_Procedures>,
and much more.

*Introductory Articles*

   1. Read this excellent introduction to the negative role of
   interest-based money by Charles
Eisenstein<http://www.realitysandwich.com/money_a_new_beginning>
   2. Best current report on the topic: Creating New
Money<http://p2pfoundation.net/Creating_New_Money>:
   A monetary reform for the information age. By Joseph Huber & James
   Robertson. New Economics Foundation
   3. Arthur Brock: Differences between Open Source and Open
Currencies<http://p2pfoundation.net/Differences_between_Open_Source_and_Open_Currencies>
   4. Kevin Carson introduces the Peer
Money<http://p2pfoundation.net/Peer_Money>debates
   5. Michel Bauwens on the Importance of Peer
Money<http://p2pfoundation.net/Michel_Bauwens_on_the_Importance_of_Peer_Money>
   6. *Alan Rosenblith: We need P2P Architectures for
Money<http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Architectures_for_Money>
   !!*
   7. Jean-Francois Noubel: Economics of Flow vs Economics of
Accumulation<http://p2pfoundation.net/Economics_of_Flow_vs_Economics_of_Accumulation>

*Hot Topics:*

   1. The historical experience of the Worgl
Shillings<http://p2pfoundation.net/Worgl_Shillings>
   2. WIR Economic Circle
Cooperative<http://p2pfoundation.net/WIR_Economic_Circle_Cooperative>:
   this 70-old Swiss mutual credit clearing system is getting traction as a
   model for the rest of Europe
   3. The creation of the Open Source Hardware Reserve
Bank<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Hardware_Reserve_Bank>.
   Details here<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-economics-of-open-source-hardware-need-a-oshw-bank/2009/03/14>