[p2p-research] Open Source, Open Standards Under Attack In Europe

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 20:59:18 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Kevin Flanagan <kev.flanagan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> According to this article Microsoft is behind it.
> http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/2010/04/02/gambling-with-open-a-how-bill-gates-made-money-moment/
> For those of us in Europe there is a link at the end of the article to
> a public consultation through a online questionnaire.
> - http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=EIS2a-
>
> Regards
>
> Kevin F

EU should know that if they decide to hand this all over to
corporations, and close off public data, that people will start to
route around EU and companies  and create their own systems. These
systems will then obsolete government systems over time. EU will have
wasted serious resources on closed obsolete systems, and made
themselves less relevant/redundant in the actual decisions communities
make.

> On 2 April 2010 00:28, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What is corrupt about maximizing profits?  Isn't that *the* goal of business?
>>>

>> Corruption, cheating, dishonesty seem to go hand in hand with the
>> drive to maximize profit.
>>
>> I think even beyond *maximizing* profit, that "control" is the
>> ultimate goal. thought not all "business" is about profit, in reality.
>> The word "business" itself has meaning beyond commerce.

>>> But it increases profit because profit measures Payer dependence.
>>>
>>> Why would anyone start a business otherwise?
>>>

>> My point is that, in my opinion, interoperability/open
>> standards/access is no longer just a political choice/position. It is
>> now essential to long-term viability of social systems world-wide.

>> --
>> --
>> Sam Rose
>> Forward Foundation
>> Social Synergy
>> Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
>> Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
>> skype: samuelrose
>> email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
>> http://socialsynergyweb.com
>> http://forwardfound.org
>> http://socialsynergyweb.org/culturing
>> http://flowsbook.panarchy.com/
>> http://socialmediaclassroom.com
>> http://localfoodsystems.org
>> http://notanemployee.net
>> http://communitywiki.org
>> http://p2pfoundation.net
>>
>> "The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human
>> ambition." - Carl Sagan

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy