[p2p-research] Open Source, Open Standards Under Attack In Europe

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 01:28:51 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Samuel Rose wrote:
>
>> Wow. This is no longer just about corruption as usual.
>
> What is corrupt about maximizing profits?  Isn't that *the* goal of business?

Corruption, cheating, dishonesty seem to go hand in hand with the
drive to maximize profit.

I think even beyond *maximizing* profit, that "control" is the
ultimate goal. thought not all "business" is about profit, in reality.
The word "business" itself has meaning beyond commerce.

>> I think that
>> reversing away from interoperability/open standards and open source is
>> fundamentally dangerous to all of the people of Europe.
>
> But it increases profit because profit measures Payer dependence.
>
> Why would anyone start a business otherwise?

My point is that, in my opinion, interoperability/open
standards/access is no longer just a political choice/position. It is
now essential to long-term viability of social systems world-wide.

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552