[p2p-research] [Commoning] Re(markets without capital?): new post

Franz Nahrada f.nahrada at reflex.at
Thu Apr 1 08:40:33 CEST 2010

Hello Brigitte,

"Brigitte Kratzwald" <brigitte.kratzwald at attac.at> schreibt:
>hi, everybody!
>
>I agree with Silke, except in one point: in market-place-economy there is
>no "equivalent-exchange", but it is an exchange of use-values, whose
>relation is agreed upon by the market-participants as a result of
>commoning, as you put it, Silke. IMHO money in this context has also the
>function of use-value.

I doubt if you can even generalise such a notion and think this largely is
influenced by the
context in which market-places emerge.

I have personally experienced some village economies where in my view
totally
unfair exchange relations existed, mirroring power and posession rather
than consensus.

What popped up in my mind is the old arguments in the emergence of
capitalism
"what is real wealth"?

I remembered the physiocrats pointing at natural resources as real wealth.
Labor was
almost treated like a free resource before capitalism!

I listened to the stories of subsistence theoreticians like Claudia von
Werlhof
idealizing the pre-capitalist forms of subsistence. I do not see them as
harmonic,
and I suppose that to a lerge extent capitalism
was not winning people over only be shere force.

I think the verb "commoning" should not become another holy grail in which
we
refuge to unproven claims.

>And even if Polanyi says, that capitalist markets are totally different to
>all kinds of markets in pre-capitalist times, he never denied that there
>were markets, and markets like those still exist and may function as
>commons. And in saying that, we do exactly the opposite of accepting or
>strengthening the predominant notion of markets as places of capitalist
>equivalent exchange.

I agree with that, and I think Braudels description of capitalist business
as "anti-market"
has some degrees of legitimacy.

The neoliberals are contradicting their own ideology in every detail.

>But I really find it very important and interesting, to discuss these
>relations between commonism and capitalism, Massimo addresses in his blog,
>and the question of what is co-opting what.

It might be helpful if we really look closer at those examples, and also
allow the notion
that certain cultures might be different in their ways of commoning.

Searching and identifying patterns might help.

Franz