[p2p-research] Fwd: Vow of Wealth

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Sep 30 17:39:54 CEST 2009

Interesting vow, and I like the sentiment (especially rejecting artificial
scarcity), as a transition towards a gift economy.

Still, maybe the problem with money, as a way to manage true current
scarcities as part of a cybernetic production system built around exchange,
is that a single unified currency is not precise enough as a rationing
method? By this I don't mean every city should have a currency (though Jane
Jacobs recommends that) but that every material or other aspect of
production should have its own currency. If I was making a cybernetic
production system, internally that is what it would need, anyway. I would
need to know how much a drill bit gets worn down in making a hole in an
engine block, or how much energy a drilling operation takes, in order to
understand how to allocate resources and see if the pattern of production
was maintaining the overall health of the physical infrastructure (for
example, ultimately, the drill bit needs to be replaced if it wears down, so
there has to be enough use of cars to move materials to make another drill
bit to make engine blocks).

What if we had ration units for the copper content of things, or ration
units for various pollution aspects of things, or ration units for embodied
energy, or ration units for the suffering of various workers, or ration
units for various sorts of tool wear, where when you bought something you
turned in perhaps hundreds or thousands or even millions of different types
of ration units all at once to buy it? Computers these days could pretty
much just as easily keep track of a purchase requiring thousands of
different types of ration units as a purchase requiring just one type of
ration unit (like euros or dollars).

That notion of currencies might even fit within the vow, which includes: "I
commit to use free currencies that liberate and catalyze wealth everywhere,
in any community, for every being, in a universal manner."

Again, I like the sentiment in the vow, but, even a gift economy or local
subsistence economy would need some sort of way of deciding how many new
drill bits to make today. Still, it is possible that it could all happen
informally. I don't want to say it can't. Or, we may reach the point of
abundance of materials and ease of production (Star Trek matter replicators)
where these decisions about rationing are made easily or trivially -- like
if almost everything was made of one amazing kind of plastic and it was
easily recycled, we would not have to worry much about other materials.

But I think we will probably have a mix of different approaches, like the
list here, and I now realize I think I had alternative currencies on it once
and it dropped off:
"[p2p-research] Fwd: Re: Growing the 21st Century Economy"
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-September/004848.html

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/