[p2p-research] Ralph Nader, exponential growth, trimtabs, S-curves

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Sep 29 17:50:08 CEST 2009

I know I posted on this book before, but this article is very interesting in
talking about Ralph Nader's changing feelings about grassroots change and
organizational forms:
   "Ralph Nader Throws His Hope in with Enlightened Billionaires"
"""
The problem, he says, is one of resources. "You cannot fight trillions of
dollars in big business money with a few millions and expect to win."
   The citizen movement, he said, is "totally amateurish" compared with how
well organized and funded the corporations are. "This mismatch is a
disaster," he said. "The progressive movement is going nowhere if it does
not address the problem of resources."
"""

For me, the idea (Manuel de Landa) of balances of meshworks and hierarchies
helps give context to understanding this.
   http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/meshwork.htm
"Hence, demonizing centralization and glorifying decentralization as the
solution to all our problems would be wrong. An open and experimental
attitude towards the question of different hybrids and mixtures is what the
complexity of reality itself seems to call for."

And on resources, as I've pointed out before, there is enough money even in
just the wasted health care spending in the USA (the cost of *not* insuring
everyone like the French and Canadians can) to implement a "Santa Claus"
project globally, that really gives US$150 worth of presents every year to
every person on the plant. That's just a thought experiment, but it shows
the scale of our global society and global wealth at this point -- that, due
to scarcity assumptions (health care in the USA must be guarded extensively
by private firms) we throw away a post-scarcity abundance that could make
Santa Claus effectively a *reality* each year. So, the cost of just that one
scarcity assumption in just one country is the abortion of Santa Claus.

And there are trillions more US dollars every year I could point to that are
wasted in various ways on scarcity issues we could move beyond.
   http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/oscomak/AchievingAStarTrekSociety.html
So, the issue is *ideology* not *resources*. Or in other words, it is not
lack of resources that is the problem, but how we direct the use of those
resources as a society that is the problem.

Still, changing ideology *quickly* takes resources. So, the real issue is,
how patient are we? And how much can we accept ongoing problems and risks
until that all gets sorted out organically?

For example, if the world continues its exponential growth of adoption of
solar and wind energy at about 20% to 30% per year, plus did energy
efficiency, plus more research into energy storage and buffering, which is
all happening, exponential trends put the entire planet as essentially
running on all renewables in two to three decades. Places like Germany that
push harder may get there sooner (like, if Germany puts big solar plants is
a depopulating East Germany). But instead the dominant ideology (as
represented by this article) still is despairing (and also pro nuclear):
   "The Impending Power Gap: Where Will Germany's Energy Come From? -
SPIEGEL ONLINE"
   http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,547555,00.html

I think one cause for optimist is to make (where appropriate) exponential
graphs instead of linear graphs. If you consider the spread of some ideas
like the spread of a pandemic, then one may hope that a p2p system might
transition to enlightenment much faster than one expects. This is both fro
exponential technical trends and exponential social trends.