[p2p-research] critical theory - actors/agents

Tomas Rawlings tom at fluffylogic.net
Tue Sep 29 11:57:19 CEST 2009

It seems this email list has people on it with a much better grasp of
critical theory than me.... so am I on the right track here?

Actor - Taking this from Actor-Network Theory, Latour remarks that it is
not so much as a term referring to a source of action, but that which is
enacted upon, thus playing a role – much like an actor on the stage. So
actors are those entities that play a role within a network to help it
become what it is.

Agent - An entity that is capable of having a more independent role than
an Actor, is something that can enact it's own decisions - it is said to
have Agency; Agency is a concept used in philosophy and sociology to
refer to the capacity of an agent to act in a world.

http://blog.catbot.org/content/humantechnology-agents-and-actors

--
Tomas

Tomas Rawlings
Development Director, FluffyLogic Development Ltd.
web: www.fluffylogic.net
tel: 0117 9442233
-
Also see:
blog on film & interweb: www.plugincinema.com
blog on p2p, media ecology & evolution: blog.catbot.org
tweet: www.twitter.com/arclightfire