[p2p-research] Open source is a company; social media is a country

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:20:50 CEST 2009

My take on this is that free software communities are
emergent/self-organized and that leadership is crucial, both are true ... I
don't think that it is true at all that open source leaders can appoint
people to do specific tasks ... they are dependent on voluntary
contributions (unless in the case of people paid for corporate open source)
...; the leadership is important for the nurturing, for the vision, for many
aspects, but the real aspects of hierarchy are much more a posteriori
through arbitrage, than a priori through command and control ...

Benevolent dictatorship seems to me largely a myth to protect an old
authoritarian paradigm, just as market thinkers want to call it a market,
even though nothing is bought and sold at a price ... I would rather analyse
it as some kind of constitutional monarchs that have obtain a role of
arbitrage through the accumulated respect they've generated ...

Any people from real free software projects who disagree with this and
indeed think that open source projects are dictatorships, albeit benevolent
ones?

Michel

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: