[p2p-research] Fwd: - Film : SILENCE, ON VACCINE "/ "SHOTS IN THE DARK

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Mon Sep 28 02:19:45 CEST 2009

Ryan Lanham wrote:
> I am no expert on this topic, but I do know that a fair number (at least
> 3-4) of the major physician bloggers (e.g. Chad Orzel) are very vocal in
> attacking anti-vaccine arguments and characterize them as essentially
> equivalent to parents not seeking medical aid for their children.  I do not
> have strong feelings on this one, but I am aware of the argument for those
> who wish to dig deeper.  It is a frequently blog topic on several science
> blogs.

Here is another example why it is hard to discuss this topic:
   "After a tragic loss, family steps up in flu vaccine trials"
   http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-09-27-flu-family_N.htm

The article describes how a six month old kid died ten days after getting a
flu shot, with two siblings in school, apparently from asphyxiation from
mucus built up in the young child's throat. Now, that is a terrible tragedy
for that family. And it certainly is understandable that they want to
prevent that tragedy from happening to other families; it is a noble and
appropriate thing that they want to do *something* about that to help
others, even though it will never bring back their loved one.

 From the article:
"""
A postmortem showed his airway was plugged by mucus, which caused
respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. Two things still nag at Julie Moise:
First, how often doctors and nurses said "it's just the flu." More troubling
is the guilt Moise feels because she and her husband weren't vaccinated.
"You have to wonder," says Moise, a flight attendant, "did I bring it home?"
   Ian's death turned the family into activists. They joined a group of
other parents who've lost children, called Families Fighting Flu, to call
attention to the risks of neglecting vaccination. They launched Ian's
Rainbow Flu Foundation, which sponsors flu walks and vaccination clinics.
And when the chance popped up to enroll their children in the vaccine trial,
the Moises grabbed it.
"""

Now, there are a lot of issues here that might be discussed:
* the ineffectiveness of flu shots as in this case (or even how shots may be
causing the flu by damaging the immune system of a six month old unable to
process any toxins in the shot due to having a small liver),
* the problems of compulsory schooling as a disease vector,
* the likely lack of extended nursing (Was that woman was nursing her six
month old if still working as a flight attendant? There is more than a 50%
chance in the USA that kid was no longer being nursed even without a working
mom, even thought WHO recommendations say nursing should continue to age two
and beyond),
* the possible lack of other defensive health strategies like increasing
vitamin D or other wellness approaches,
* the need for compulsory work by parents of young children creating
exposure outside the home to flu, and
* the increasing unhealthiness of global air travel with cost cutting to
reduce fresh air in cabins and increase cabin crowding.

Details on one of those points:
   "Is it OK to Breastfeed When You’re Sick?"
   http://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/49267_59646.asp
"""
Yes, it’s still OK to breastfeed and you shouldn’t stop breastfeeding even
if you become ill or are being treated for the flu, the March of Dimes says.
  Breastfeeding passes antibodies from the mother to the baby that help to
fight off infection -- this is important in infants when their immune system
is still developing.  Babies who are breastfed do not become as ill, and are
sick less often from the flu, than babies who are not breastfed.  Be careful
not to cough or sneeze in the baby’s face, and wash your hands often with
soap and water.  Your health care provider might suggest that you wear a
mask to avoid spreading the virus to your baby.
"""

A nursing mother's immune system is scanning the environment for potential
threats and her body is building things to help her baby cope with those
threats. Formula just can't do that.

But, rather than explore any of those deep issues about our society,
including perhaps how compulsory work (due to an income-through-jobs link in
our society instead of a basic income) and ignorance about the value of
breastfeeding, may have helped kill that baby, the conclusion is, "kids need
more flu shots".

Now, maybe that is even true that kids do need more shots (even as I doubt
it, based on Mercola and others writing about alternatives like increased
vitamin D and so on), but the point is, the discussion about alternative
interpretations is not being had in the mainstream media; it is only being
had in the p2p arena.

So many issues are "off the table" in the USA from (in the past) impeaching
Bush to (in the present) providing single-payer health care.
   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=off+the+table
But, issues like nuking Iran are apparently *not* "off the table".
   http://www.antiwar.com/hirsch/?articleid=9255
Where exactly is this table located, anyway? Someplace warm, I suspect. :-(

Thank goodness at least these sorts of issues are "on the table" in the p2p
realm. :-)

(Anyway, sorry to use one family's tragedy to make a point. Hopefully
exploration of these issues can help prevent other such tragedies.)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/