[p2p-research] Rhetoric of Rationing Health Care Overlooks Reality - NYTimes.com

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sun Sep 27 18:10:15 CEST 2009

Nathan-

That's a great point; you really need to look at the entire social/physical
system to understand how to make it as healthy as possible.

Compulsory schools are one of the biggest ways flu gets spread. Compulsory
work is one reason parents have to rely on the compulsory schools in the
USA. (In places with better social networks and family ties (overall) like
Mexico, there are relative to help out with child care, so it is easier to
close schools.)

Would the world be a healthier place if social interactions in relation to
providing food and goods were optional? Like if people could print stuff at
home? Bryan Bishop raises this point about our inability to know how to do
local life support. But, even then, the issue isn't necessarily absolute
independence or dependence, but the time constant of dependence. Grid power
makes you dependent on the power company second-by-second, but you might
only need to buy solar panels from a big company once every thirty years; so
there is a real difference in freedom and independence with such a change,
even if a big company was involved either way. Buying your produce at the
store is a daily or weekly interaction, but growing your own vegetables
means just one trip a year for supplies. There can be a huge difference in
levels of required interactions if you rethink the infrastructure, even if
there still is material dependence. (Of course, education at home through
the internet and food delivered by robot delivery vans would remove the
face-to-face aspects of those thing in crowded situations.)

Some vaccinations for children (especially something like flu vaccination)
are justified in practice so the parents can keep working and so the schools
can keep schooling (assuming they really worked and did not cause more
illnesses down the road in other ways). What are the odds that one year
there may be a really bad batch of flu vaccine and the CDC has to explain
why it suggested everyone now get at least 80 flu shots in an 80 year
lifespan? That's a lot of shots, when just the physical risk of a shot
exists (like if the substance is injected into a vein, or the needle is not
sterile, or if the health practitioner sticks themselves afterwards by
accident, or people get flu waiting in line for flu shots, and so on.)

It's one thing to argue risk/reward for an injection about avoiding
meningitis or polio; it's another to argue risk/reward for an injection
about avoiding the flu. Most flu deaths are of the very old, people, who
will, sadly die one way or other. Much of the arguments for vaccinating
young kids is also about protecting the old (who seem to get little benefit
from direct flu vaccination), so there is a case here of the young taking a
risk and paying a cost to help the very old. The theory is, if you keep kids
from spreading flu to each other in schools, that the elderly will benefit.
This smacks of the ongoing age-wars in the USA of how the old in the USA
have universal health care through Medicare and Medicaid but the young have
to pay for it and have no guaranteed access. Now the young kids get to take
it on the chin (or in the arm) for grandma, too:
"Doubts Grow Over Flu Vaccine in Elderly"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/health/02flu.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
"A growing number of immunologists and epidemiologists say the vaccine
probably does not work very well for people over 70, the group that accounts
for three-fourths of all flu deaths. The latest blow was a study in The
Lancet last month that called into question much of the statistical evidence
for the vaccine’s effectiveness. ... Not everyone is sold on the
significance of the Lancet study. “I think this is another study that
provides interesting findings and raises questions,” said Dr. Kristin
Nichol, chief of medicine at the Veterans Affairs hospital in Minneapolis.
“I don’t think we know yet what the final word is on influenza vaccinations
in the elderly.  “I really feel, and I feel very strongly about this, that
the public health message should be that vaccines are effective,” she
continued. “I don’t think that science is necessarily best hashed out in the
media.” ... In 2005, Dr. Simonsen, who was then at the National Institute of
Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, Md., published a paper in The
Archives of Internal Medicine that found something odd: even though the
percentage of older people who got an annual flu shot more than tripled from
1980 to 2001, there was no corresponding drop in the death rate. ... Despite
these findings, Dr. Shay said the C.D.C. had no plans to change its vaccine
recommendations, though he added that the agency had financed studies to
look for more effective influenza vaccines for the elderly."

It's amazing how all medicine is "safe and effective" until it is not. And
even when it is suggested by what seem to me to be irrefutable statistics it
is not "effective" in some way that was claimed (reducing the death rate of
the elderly), policy does not change.

Nonetheless, and maybe it shows my being too much of a cynic/pessimist, but
I'm still amazed how much the grassroots pushback is going viral all of a
sudden. :-) Must be some exponential trend I did not notice. Catchy rap tune
on the video here:
"Parents Say No to Forced and Compulsory School Vaccinations "
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/4022316-health-alert-parents-say-no-to-forced-and-compulsory-school-vaccinations/video/37766578
"I'm writing because I'm extremely concerned about reports that the schools
are going to force parents to have their children vaccinated for the H1N1
swine -avian-human flu"

We're seeing a sudden swirl of p2p activity related to the intersection of
technology and society and economy and schooling.

Whatever one may say about whether vaccines ever work or not, clearly the
hierarchy that surrounds them (at least in the USA) is fundamentally broken
in terms of encouraging trust of it. So, some more people are resisting the
compulsion to stick their kids with even more needles to stick them in
school (still not questioning the school part, much, though).

The fact is, whether vaccines work or not, the US medical establishment has
brought this distrust on themselves by allowing so many conflict-of-interest
to persist for so long in the medical establishment.

A google search I posted two days ago:
  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vaccine+conflicts+of+interest
"Results 1 - 10 of about 383,000 for vaccine conflicts of interest. (0.12
seconds)"

Wow -- just two days ago there were only 222,000 matches. (See my previous
post on this topic, "If vaccines were like software patches...".) So, almost
double the matches in two days. Wonder if this is just a technical artifact
of something about Google? Or does it show rapid exponential growth?

I'll be curious if this number changes in a couple of days.

Just to begin with, regardless of the history of vaccination, why should one
trust *anything* about a medical care system that leaves tens of millions of
people without ready access to health care in the supposedly richest country
in the world? Really, it's just common sense that if you care about your
health, you should care about the health of everyone, especially as regards
resisting communicable diseases by staying well and having a healthy immune
system -- well rested, well fed, nursed by WHO guidelines (two years+), etc..

Anyway, while I agree with you about the technological dimensions, I still
feel social aspects of all this are just as important as the technology, IMHO.
"Getting to 100 social-technical points (was Re: a Change)"
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/msg/a7abadb8867dae79?hl=en

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/