[p2p-research] Fwd: "Networking in Everyday Life" - information overload

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 08:23:12 CEST 2009

On 9/23/09, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> from Danah Boyd , on her blog :

> " For my own sanity, I need one pile of ToDo. So at the end of the day, the
> only channel that actually works for me is email. And if you need me to
> respond to something, don't message me elsewhere; send me an email. "

That's exactly my own approach.  I still refuse to own a cell phone.
I think telephony reached its zenith with the land line phone with
answering machine attached:  I can simply refuse to answer the phone
when I don't feel like talking to people, and answer messages when I
feel like getting around to it, without ever being interrupted by
having to communicate in real-time when it's inconvenient.  For the
same reason, I don't do texting or IM.  Email is ideal, because you
can respond to it on your own schedule without having to deal with
constant interruptions.  I'm still astonished to see half the people
walking down the sidewalk or down the aisles of the supermarket
talking on the phone; I always wonder when they ever have time to
think.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism