[p2p-research] economic abundance textbook

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Sep 22 13:08:09 CEST 2009

Nathan Cravens wrote:
> as it is
> understood that markets are good at capturing wealth, but lacks the ability
> to nurture that which surfaced its wealth.

Great point.

If you look at the Jane Jacobs version of how cities came to be, it was as
trading points for people extracting things from the surrounding area
(hunters and gatherers). (Cities, more like towns by our current standards,
then developed agriculture of plants and animals through the process of
temporary storage.) A place like the Netherlands, where key ideas of
capitalism emerged, also was a trading hub of things brought back in ships,
extracted from other places whether agriculturally or by stealing humans
from other countries to use as slaves. So, historically, yes, markets are
all about trading what you took from nature, not about nurturing nature or
humanity itself. Nurturing our surroundings will be a big conceptual leap
when we make it as a society (and I feel space habitats are part of that,
because they get people to focus on maintaining the basic infrastructure of
life support in a formal way). But in more crowded places like the
Netherlands, especially with a common issue of water management, you can see
that concept has emerged somewhat; example:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder_Model

I agree with the rest of the comments by you and Smári on this book, that it
is not under a free license and that it is intended for schools, which are
both practices being in general anti-abundance, no the book does not
practice what it preaches in that sense. Of course, we have this p2p list
and others like open manufacturing and so on, plus related web sites and
blogs, so there are lots of places now to learn about these things with
information under free licenses (sometimes) or in communities. So, we can
see this book as important in being a "trailing edge" thing for the FOSS/p2p
movement. :-) Even if the book might be "leading edge" for academia, and
very important in that sense. :-)

Yes, it may get stuff wrong, like that full employment issue. Still, "full
employment by "make-work" in wars, schooling, and prisons might be used by a
society as a means of social control that intentionally destroys abundance,
(as I've pointed out before with my jobs equation). So, technically they are
right that "full employment" by telling people "do make-work or starve" is
an option as opposed to a basic income, a gift economy, and local
subsistence production by 3D printing, robotic organic agriculture, and so
on). So, they are right in a way to talk about "full employment" as a final
solution, as one can see in the image with the words "Arbeit Macht Frei" at
the top of this version of Bob Black's essay on "The Abolition of Work": :-(
   http://deoxy.org/endwork.htm
I usually otherwise link to the version of his essay here:
   http://www.whywork.org/rethinking/whywork/abolition.html

Wonder what else is misleading or biased? :-)
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies_My_Teacher_Told_Me
"Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got
Wrong is a 1995 book by James Loewen. It critically examines twelve popular
American history textbooks and concludes that textbook authors propagate
factually false, eurocentric, and mythologized views of history. In addition
to critiquing the dominant historical themes presented in textbooks, Loewen
presents a number of his own historical themes that he says are ignored by
traditional history textbooks."

Do they have a discussion of how one type of how mass production is
interwoven with Prussian-derived compulsory schooling, for example?
   http://www.disciplined-minds.com/
   http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

Of course, without the text being online, it is hard to analyze it and
critique it.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/