[p2p-research] What is Tactical Philanthropy? | Tactical Philanthropy (& Imagine)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Sep 19 21:15:03 CEST 2009

This term "tactical philanthropy" came up in a CSMonitor article I linkd to
about a week ago. Here is more on that idea, which may suggest approaches
those interesting in improving community infrastructure in a p2p way.

From:
   "What is Tactical Philanthropy?"
http://tacticalphilanthropy.com/philosophy-and-perspectives-top/what-is-tactical-philanthropy
"""
   “Tactical philanthropy” is a phrase coined by our founder Sean
Stannard-Stockton in 2006 in the book Mapping the New World of American
Philanthropy.
   “Tactical philanthropy is an approach to philanthropy that positions
donors as suppliers of support to agents of social impact. Support generally
refers to provision of capital through grants and social investments, but
also includes nonfinancial support. A tactical philanthropist expresses his
or her interests through supporting a portfolio of organizations that are
effectively producing social impact in areas about which the donor is
passionate.”
   Tactical philanthropists are people who view their giving as a way to
invest in organizations that are making a positive difference in the world.
   Philanthropy is not always practiced this way. Strategic philanthropy is
an approach that positions donors as problem-solvers. While we all want to
figure out solutions to the world’s problems, at Tactical Philanthropy
Advisors we focus on helping our clients find and support great
organizations that are good problem solvers. We believe it is often the
nonprofit management teams – those with decades of experience in their
chosen fields – that are best positioned to figure out what works.
   If you are looking for a consultant who can help you figure out the best
way to keep kids in school, for example, we’re not the right advisor for
you. But if you care about keeping kids in school and want to support a
portfolio of outstanding nonprofit organizations that are deploying various
programs to keep kids in school, we’re a great fit.
   We believe philanthropists have many tools at their disposal, aside from
grantmaking: advocacy, funding media projects, and convening important
stakeholders are all examples of important roles philanthropists can play.
We can help you deploy these various tactics, but we do not claim expertise
as social science researchers.
   Just as great for-profit investing is mostly about designing a solid
financial plan and then building a portfolio that reflects ones goals,
Tactical Philanthropy is about designing a great philanthropic plan and then
building a portfolio of grantees that is aligned with your values. If you
are looking for social science research consultants, we are not the firm for
you. If you are looking for an advisor who can help you build a personalized
approach to your giving and bring innovation, effectiveness and joy to your
philanthropy, we’d love to help you.
"""

A related item linked from Sean Stannard-Stockton's twitter page:
   "Why Seth Godin Is Wrong (Updated)"
   http://causewired.com/2009/09/15/why-seth-godin-is-wrong/
"""
Online marketing guru Seth Godin takes aim at nonprofits in a widely-quoted
blog post “The problem with non” today, a diatribe of sorts that repeats a
meme that’s been active in American philanthropy circles for at least a
decade: nonprofits are afraid of change. ... Undoubtedly, control and
bureaucracy can be big problems with nonprofits, large and small. But does
anyone now living believe that the most philanthropic nation in the history
of the world should devolve its nonprofit and service sector into a
crowd-sourced cyberlibertarian throw of the dice at utopia? Yes, $300
billion annually is less than 2% of GDP – but it’s a vital 2% for those who
rely on the services and support that nonprofits provide. I don’t – and I
preach digital change to nonprofits every day. Change ain’t easy when the
world keeps moving and you have the keep the lights on – ask the President.
"""

Anyway, lots of issues there raised from different perspectives about the
way non-profits and new media are interacting. Of course, some here might
like a "crowd-sourced cyberlibertarian throw of the dice at utopia" funded
to the tune of US$300 billion a year. :-) And I'm all for turning over the
money for compulsory schooling directly to parents to help promote aspects
of that. :-)
http://www.pdfernhout.net/towards-a-post-scarcity-new-york-state-of-mind.html

But, in any case, interesting things to think about whatever parts one
agrees with. In general, this shows how a conversation is going on right now
about p2p-related issues in the non-profit realm.

By the way, also from the CSMonitor, from this week:
http://features.csmonitor.com/economyrebuild/2009/09/15/economic-scene-afghanistan-will-cost-us-more-than-iraq/
"""
For the first time, the war in Afghanistan in the next budget year will cost
Americans more than the war in Iraq. By the end of the next fiscal year,
which starts Oct. 1, the total military budget costs for both wars will have
exceeded $1 trillion. That’s more than the cost of the Vietnam War,
adjusting for inflation, or any other US war except World War II ($3.2
trillion in 2007 dollars). A trillion dollars is hard to imagine. Think of
it this way: If you had an expense account good for $1 million a day, it
would take 2,935 years to spend $1.071 trillion, which is the actual
estimate for the wars’ price tag by Travis Sharp of the Center for Arms
Control and Non-Proliferation in Washington. He reckons the two conflicts
will have cost the typical American family of four roughly $13,000 by next
year. ... Costs and utilization of healthcare and other veterans’ benefits
are running about 30 percent higher than she and coauthor Joseph Stiglitz, a
Columbia University Nobel Prize economist, estimated in their 2008 New York
Times bestseller, “The Three Trillion Dollar War.” Adding in some social
costs (such as families caring for the disabled and a diminished labor
force), the two economists put a “moderate-realistic” price tag on the two
wars of $5 trillion.
"""

Imagine for one moment that after 9/11/200 (or 9/11/1973) the USA had been
able to look itself in the mirror, and had decided to spend US$5 trillion of
the money to be incurred on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in a different
way, to promote mutual security and prosperity globally. (And some people at
the time did say the war costs would be in that neighborhood, not a
"cakewalk".) So, imagine the USA picked, say, our Michel Bauwens to spend
the money globally for building a new sustainable society with a central
theme of p2p. :-) And imagine President Bush had told Michel to spend that
money all in thirty years. I'd suggest Michel (or anyone) would have been
hard pressed by the relentless pace of needing to come up with a place to
spend US$500 million dollars each and every day on p2p for thirty years. :-)
I'm sure he would try though. :-)

And every day on this list, for thirty years, we could nag him, day in, day
out, "Michel, have you spent that US$500 million today? No? Get back to
work!" :-)

I suggest Michel, like anybody, might collapse under the strain. :-( He
might then decide, every day, for thirty years, to just pick a thousand
names out of a telephone book, give them each half a million US dollars and
a printed flier on p2p, and hope for the best. :-) In one year, that would
be 365,000 people that Michel had given MacArthur Foundation level P2P
"Genius Awards" to -- just random people off the street even. Just out of
hope a few might do good things. :-)

It's even been outlined on TV in the 1950s:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millionaire
"The Millionaire is a television drama anthology series that aired on CBS
from January 19, 1955 to June 8, 1960, originally sponsored by
Colgate-Palmolive.. The series explored the ways unexpected wealth changed
life for better or for worse. The show became a five-season hit, thanks in
large part to a twist that also made it a bit of a cult classic in the years
that followed its life in the so-called "Golden Era" of U.S. television. The
show centered around the stories of unknown people who were given, seemingly
out of nowhere, one million dollars from a benefactor who insisted they
never know him – with one memorable exception."

And, for all that money spent differently, there would be more that four
thousand US families who would still have their loved one alive, and more
than 30,000 US families that would still have their loved one physically
whole, and more than probably 300,000 US families that would still have
their loved one mentally whole, and maybe millions of Iraqi families that
would still have their loved ones and still be living in their homes.
   http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_casualties.htm
I'd suggest, overall, we'd even all be much better off, even if Michel just
burned the money every day, out of desperation.

Anyway, we can try to imagine it, and it is not that unrealistic, because,
the USA also just spent trillions on a bailout, and no doubt it could afford
to spend trillions for self-renewal, even now.

And foundations have tens of trillions of US dollars coming in over the next
few decades to spend on good works. A flow into foundations of US$55
trillion is expected over the next 25 years according to this:
   "Is Open Source the Answer To Giving?"
   http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/20/1313223

All they have to do is start sending Michel checks for US$500 million every
day. :-) I'm sure he'd be willing to try to to keep up with the torrent for
a while. :-) Kind of like playing "SimCity" with the "cheat" amount of
money. :-)

And, if Michel decided to take a year-and-a-half sabbatical, he could fund
this with the money he'd otherwise have to spend during that time:
   "A Solar Grand Plan"
   http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-solar-grand-plan
"A massive switch from coal, oil, natural gas and nuclear power plants to
solar power plants could supply 69 percent of the U.S.’s electricity and 35
percent of its total energy by 2050. ... But $420 billion in subsidies from
2011 to 2050 would be required to fund the infrastructure and make it
cost-competitive. ..."

Anyway, if there is one good thing to come out of the wars the US launched
in Afghanistan and Iraq, it is to show that all our global problems stem
more from ideology and a lack of imagination, than from a lack of resources
(financial or otherwise).

Or, humorously, this is a simulation of the leadership we need: :-)
   "President George W. Bush singing John Lennon's Imagine"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOEhQXUS_ws&NR=1

The original version:
   "John Lennon - Imagine"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GAHFrLAxzM

So, anyway, we might hope to see more "tactical philanthropy" in a p2p
direction in the future. :-) It's not that hard to imagine. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/