[p2p-research] Cybernetics the missing piece for partnership state and steady state economy?

Smári McCarthy smari at anarchism.is
Fri Sep 18 14:05:53 CEST 2009

I love the application of cybernetics to societal organization, and have
advocated much for it in the past (see for example my essay "The End of
(artificial) Scarcity"), but I must raise a fairly important question
regarding base assumptions.

"Parliaments and Congresses are replaced by citizens chosen for their
knowledge and competence, not their ability to run political campaigns."

In the exploration of the space of viable systems to replace the current
political model, you seem to have limited yourself to systems that have
the same structure as the congress/parliament model, ignoring other,
potentially more flexible models, such as models where each individual
is fully authoritive for his own actions (which, cybernetically
speaking, is the maximally viable base system, as all signals are
reciprocated to their emitters).

"Ideology is scrapped in favor of practical organizations and technical
solutions."

Hold on a moment. I like the idea here, but isn't this a very strong
assumption? Even if the system is reorganized in such a way that in
inter-organizational communications ideology is disregarded, that does
not preclude politicking within the organizations, which is unavoidable,
because at the end of the day the organization itself doesn't have
self-governance, but is rather a function of the individuals who make up
the organization, and each of these has her own agenda. Put simply, the
signals get muddled.

In all respects other than this, I agree with this analysis (although I
haven't had a chance to watch the video yet I'm afraid). In fact, I
agree to such a degree that what you're describing as a practical future
application is what I'm running towards in the TangibleBit project.

The goal is to create an industrial information system (IIS) which maps
resources. Ideologically (there it is again!) it's similar to the
CyberSyn project from the 1970's, although it's been modernized and
extended.

 -  Smári