[p2p-research] Cybernetics the missing piece for partnership state and steady state economy?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Sep 18 14:03:39 CEST 2009

It's interesting to me to see this cybernetics issue coming up as a theme (E
see it's been mentioned twice before in subjects).

That video is related to an issue I brought up in Post-Scarcity Princeton on
reinventing economics where I mentioned cybernetics (including three levels
of a model). From theret:
   "Post-Scarcity Princeton "
   http://www.pdfernhout.net/post-scarcity-princeton.html
"""
Here is a sample meta-theoretical framework PU economists no doubt could
vastly improve on if they turned their minds to it. Consider three levels of
nested perspectives on the same economic reality -- physical items, decision
makers, and emergent properties of decision maker interactions. (Three
levels of being or consciousness is a common theme in philosophical
writings, usually rock, plant, and animal, or plant, animal, and human.)
   At a first level of perspective, the world we live in at any point in
time can be considered to have physical content like land or tools or fusion
reactors like the sun, energy flows like photons from the sun or electrons
from lightning or in circuits, informational patterns like web page content
or distributed language knowledge, and active regulating processes
(including triggers, amplifiers, and feedback loops) built on the previous
three types of things (physicality, energy flow, and informational patterns)
embodied in living creatures, bi-metallic strip thermostats, or computer
programs running on computer hardware.
   One can think of a second perspective on the first comprehensive one by
picking out only the decision makers like bi-metallic strips in thermostats,
computer programs running on computers, and personalities embodied in people
and maybe someday robots or supercomputers, and looking at their
characteristics as individual decision makers.
   One can then think of a third level of perspective on the second where
decision makers may invent theories about how to control each other using
various approaches like internet communication standards, ration unit tokens
like fiat dollars, physical kanban tokens, narratives in emails, and so on.
What the most useful theories are for controlling groups of decision makers
is an interesting question, but I will not explore it in depth. But I will
pointing out that complex system dynamics at this third level of perspective
can emerge whether control involves fiat dollars, "kanban" tokens,
centralized or distributed optimization based on perceived or predicted
demand patterns, human-to-human discussions, something else entirely, or a
diverse collection of all these things. And I will also point out that one
should never confuse the reality of the physical system being controlled for
the control signals (money, spoken words, kanban cards, internet packet
contents, etc.) being passed around in the control system.
   The above is somewhat inspired by "cybernetics".
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics
So, I'd suggest, should the PU Economics Department faculty be kept on, the
department should be renamed the "Princeton University Cybernetics
Department" with there being an "historical economics" subsection all the
current economics faculty are assigned to, and one faculty member each from
the PU Department of Religion, the PU Department of History, and the PU
department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering be put in as an acting
team triumvirate leadership of the larger department. :-) As economics
faculty broaden their research, then they could move into other new
Cybernetics department sections. See also:
     "The Human Use Of Human Beings: Cybernetics And Society" by Norbert Wiener
   http://www.amazon.com/Human-Use-Beings-Cybernetics-Paperback/dp/0306803208
"""

One can compare/contrast with that video:
   "Management Cybernetics: The Cybernetic State"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrgRJiJBU2I
"The Cybernetic State is inevitable. We have everything to do it. We look
the basic structure of the modern democratic state through the lens of
Management Cybernetics and the Viable System Model. The teachings of
Stafford Beer are applied to understanding the evolution of the State and
the reason why Law, Economics and Politics are different aspects of the
State. The Cybernetic State is not so much about computers as it is about
following nature's rules. The influence of the Iroquois on the US
Constitution is referenced. "

Though one has to be cautious about elitism; also that video misses the
issue of meshwork and hierarchy balance, and misses some understanding of
the diversity of nature. But it is a great start down that road.

The video relates to the first 9/11 (in Chile, in 1973) where people in the
USA government actively destroyed the first computerized cybernetic
government on the planet (it was mixing aspects of top-down and bottom-up
control, so, had some form of hierarchy/meshwork balance):
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Cybersyn

And the video mentions the Iroquois Confederacy:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=100th+congress+iroquois+331&btnG=Search

Leading to:
"H. Cons. Res 331"
http://senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/hconres331.pdf
"100th congress. 2d Session. H. CON. RES. 331. IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED
STATES ... To acknowledge the contribution of the Iroquois Confederacy [to
the development of the US Constitution]..."

So, while the Iroquois used wampum (tapestries of beads) instead of
electronics as their external computing, communication, and record-keeping
medium, See:

"NativeTech: Wampum; History and Background"
http://www.nativetech.org/wampum/wamphist.htm
"Wampum as Hypertext: An American Indian Intellectual Tradition of
Multimedia Theory and Practice"
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/studies_in_american_indian_literatures/v019/19.4haas.html

maybe it would be fairer to consider the Iroquois Confederacy the first
cybernetic government on the planet? And one *also* severely damaged by the
corporatized social system brought from England that would later control the
US government? :-(

Anyway, one might hope for a peaceful upgrade of the US government and
related socio-economic systems to incorporate more aspects of cybernetics
over time. Still, ultimately, a broad definition of human rights is
essential to make any such systems function well for most people. The
Iroquois had that too, so it is not just the notion of "a learning people",
or a "system of checks and balances", but also upholding core values.

In the USA, those values were articulated in 1941 by US President Franklin
Roosevelt to an extent (in an age that already had 945 marginal tax rates),
but the last seventy years has seen a long struggle to achieve them against
a neo-conservative backlash:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Freedoms
"""
The Four Freedoms are goals famously articulated by United States President
Franklin D. Roosevelt, urged by wife Eleanor Roosevelt and friend Jon Run,
on January 6, 1941. In an address also known as the Four Freedoms speech,
FDR proposed four points as fundamental freedoms humans "everywhere in the
world" ought to enjoy:
    1. Freedom of speech and expression
    2. Freedom of religion
    3. Freedom from want
    4. Freedom from fear
His inclusion of the latter two freedoms went beyond the traditional
American Constitutional values protected by the First Amendment, and
endorsed a right to economic security and an internationalist view of
foreign policy that have come to be central tenets of modern American
liberalism. They also anticipated what would become known decades later as
the "human security" paradigm in social science and economic development.
"""

A "Basic Income" and universal health care is an updated version of that
third theme.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
And as mentioned in the "Triple Revolution" memorandum is essential for
cybernetic reasons:
   http://educationanddemocracy.org/FSCfiles/C_CC2a_TripleRevolution.htm
"""
The Cybernation Revolution: A new era of production has begun. Its
principles of organization are as different from those of the industrial era
as those of the industrial era were different from the agricultural. The
cybernation revolution has been brought about by the combination of the
computer and the automated self-regulating machine. This results in a system
of almost unlimited productive capacity which requires progressively less
human labor. Cybernation is already reorganizing the economic and social
system to meet its own needs.  ... The continuance of the income-through
jobs link as the only major mechanism for distributing effective demand—for
granting the right to consume—now acts as the main brake on the almost
unlimited capacity of a cybernated productive system.
"""

"Mutual security" by Morton Deutsch is an updated version of that fourth
theme, and something that again relates to Cybernetics (since it tries to
dampen down positive feedback loops that lead to arms races). Example:
http://www.beyondintractability.org/audio/morton_deutsch/?nid=2430

My interest in peer to peer is in part not so much a desire to see p2p
everywhere in everything as the *only* control system, so much as to,
following Manuel de Landa, rebalance our current system, so that peer to
peer meshworks regain a lot of the importance they once had. So, I expect
that p2p meshworks will interact with hierarchies that peers create or
direct for self governance (like, for example, standards of internet packet
exchange, or authorities that regulate and tax markets).
   http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/meshwork.htm

Or, as US President Lincoln said, my efforts are ideally so that:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Address
"government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish
from the earth."

But within that, there is a lot of room for negotiation and experiment. :-)
Again, from Manuel de Landa:
   http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/meshwork.htm
"Indeed, one must resist the temptation to make hierarchies into villains
and meshworks into heroes, not only because, as I said, they are constantly
turning into one another, but because in real life we find only mixtures and
hybrids, and the properties of these cannot be established through theory
alone but demand concrete experimentation."

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/