[p2p-research] Sellyourrights.com - Attempt to create cultural commons capture

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 00:59:50 CEST 2009

I tend to figure any idea I've had has already occurred to someone else, and
I always hope they're working on it, and I'll catch wind of it.  Sure
enough, www.sellyourrights.com has appeared to offer to connect musicians
who want a little money for their trouble, and fans wanting to keep culture
free as a common resource.

However, in my mind, having multiple Creative Commons licenses available is
a mistake because:
1) the psychological difficulties of choice; the default is also extremely
important, but ideally, it should be a single choice.  Richard Thaler has
done plenty of research in this vein; I really wish Lawrence Lessig was
familiar with it before making CC, because CC may have turned out quite
differently.
2)  a culture commons, in my opinion, MUST be only attribution and
share-alike, thus allowing commerical use.  I know Dmytri Kleiner would
disagree, which is an interesting discussion in its own right, involving his
idea of copyfarleft.
3-minor) you're not really selling your rights if it's kept in a commons,
and if you still get to decide on the license.

Despite my criticisms, this seems like a very promising development.  They
can take a bounty and market system much farther, with ransoms for other
existing works, reputation-based funding (putting your money where your
likes are, and wearing it as a badge), and "the merchandise connection,"
aka, real physical objects.  (To mention a few.)

-- Stan