[p2p-research] Top Schools Set on Open Journal Format

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:49:08 CEST 2009

For some reason that news item was removed from the MIT News site--removed
to the extent that a search cannot find any trace of it.  I used Google news
to find other mentions, which are only a couple.

http://news.google.com/news/more?ncl=dDLPeocJVYktyjMqv8p74t-aLFgXM
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/09/15/open

This is great news.  The closed, pre-internet models now have no discernible
value, and rent-seeking with scientific information is immoral.  Not sure if
anyone follows it, but university libraries have been increasingly working
together to fend off rent-seeking by journals.  Given that they're the
producers AND the consumers, I'm surprised it's taken them this long to
break future monopolies by cooperating.  Maybe they were waiting to see how
PLoS journals performed.

-- Stan