[p2p-research] Fwd:Against the deliberate cultivation of narcissism in personal development

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:42:30 CEST 2009

An interesting post,

Against the deliberate cultivation of narcissism in personal
development<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/?p=4940>
[image: photo of Michel Bauwens]Michel Bauwens
15th September 2009

 One of the main psychological change technologies found in personal
development literature is to affirm and/or visualize precisely what you
want, with great emotional force. This key technique can be found again and
again in classic texts … When practiced intensely and frequently as
recommended, this technique literally becomes “the cultivation of
inflation”—the deliberate and intentional practice of self-centeredness!

The above is from a very important
thoughtpiece<http://beyondgrowth.net/social-criticism/the-cultivation-of-inflation-and-the-culture-of-narcissism-in-personal-development/>by
Duff McDuffee from the Beyond Growth blog. This “is a collaborative
blogging project focused on critiquing and expanding the personal
development field. Noting a lack of critical discourse in personal
development, Duff McDuffee and Eric Schiller founded Beyond Growth in the
hopes of using it as a platform to foster growth and responsibility.”

An important step towards the creation of a more positive
relationality-centered culture!!

*Duff McDuffee:*

*“This ability to inflate the self to God-sized proportions is a key
qualification for any personal development guru, or in fact most of the
celebrated figures in our celebrity culture. Many of the key techniques of
personal development aim at inflating the self to the size of the universe,
the inverse of the traditional religious aims of dissolving the self, seeing
that the self is illusory, or engaging in selfless service. Rather than
surrendering to a higher power, the aim of most personal development is to
become a higher power, perhaps to fill the void that is left in a culture
where “God is dead.” The aim developing of massive personal power—despite
empty words to the contrary—is clearly about having social and economic
power over others, and to be celebrated for one’s narcissism in a vacuous
celebrity culture.*

*The solution is not necessarily to always attempt to make others happy
before one’s self, as seems to be recommended in the above video. This can
easily become martyrdom, which is just as much an ego-trip as only affirming
one’s own goals. But I hope you can agree that there is an enormous
difference between affirming “may I be happy and free from suffering” with
humility and courage, and affirming “I deserve massive wealth” with
puffed-up enthusiasm—even if we can’t always congruently wish for the
happiness of all beings.*

*I am not opposed to an individual practicing the mantra or affirmation “may
I be happy” or “may I be free of suffering”—these are very useful tools, and
usually recommended as first steps within Buddhist practice for generation
of joy and compassion before practicing compassion for others. Nor do I
necessarily see any problem with deciding on an outcome or goal and infusing
it with some energy, and reminding yourself of the goal at regular
intervals. However, every religious tradition involves regularly praying for
the well being of others. By contrast, most personal development only
recommends praying for one’s individual desires. Meanwhile, the evidence
from positive psychology suggests that the main keys to our happiness come
from being deeply connected with others, and clearly our excessive
self-focus is eroding those very connections more and more.*

*What happens to a culture and society when we consciously and deliberately
invest enormous energy and focus on our selfish aims? Personally, I think we
get a lot of our present culture, and the problems within it. We get a
culture that is blind to culture, that ceases to ask ethical and social
questions, and that reduces political action to consumer choice. We get a
culture where a great number of people are unhappy and seeking ways to
become happy, and we get solutions that make people more unhappy by
encouraging them to be even more self-focused.”*

*In conclusion:*

Personal development can certainly occur without cultivating inflation and
narcissism, but doing so looks quite different from our popular images of
success and achievement, and utilizes techniques that are more precise and
often more focused on others than conventional advice from the narcissistic
gurus.