[p2p-research] ecovillages and communities : which ones are interested in "open p2p" ?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:13:46 CEST 2009

Technology should be an invitation, not an obligation; and it's a tool and a
means, not an end in itself. And though p2p technology is a fantastic
enabler, it's possible to initiate p2p dynamics without even the technology
... we should not be seen as tech-peddlers to those with legitimate concerns
about technology ...

mediated communications can be a detriment to real human communication, but
it is also possible to have a very aware usage of technology as a tool to
unite people,

Luddites are much maligned and they lost the war, but the english craft
communities had legitimate concerns about the destruction of their
livelihoods by textile and other machineries

Michel

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Dante-Gabryell Monson <
dante.monson at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> general approach to tool and object manipulation, which is not bad in
>> itself, but it is bad if you want to 'earn money in the workforce'. This
>> means I'd like to see all existing jobs fully automated, just like a
>> majority shareholder of a company, but the difference between the
>> shareholder and I is that I want to see this further decay the economic
>> system that surfaced the mass model so that more people see the need to
>> develop something better 'underneath'; and that 'better' is a "commons
>> floor" which will rise to better production standards than mass production
>> as development attention is better coordinated; after the vision is better
>> defined: broken into easy to comprehend developmental parts (first for key
>> developers that can better establish in more detail what must be done; then
>> presented for users to do for themselves without a developer hierarchy),
>> assembled, and distributed.
>>
>> My views may be considered post-luddite, (though I seem to have skipped
>> the luddite phase ;p) as I believe craft production (or personal fabrication
>> in contemporary terms) is the most sincere or meaningful work, but I
>> understand the benefit in having more advanced techniques that may include
>> having a desktop device produce the entire product, especially if it for
>> someone else, like the elderly, that may not be able to produce or deliver
>> needed items for themselves when I or anyone else cannot possibly produce or
>> deliver what everyone needs with simple hand tools. That may be practical in
>> smaller 300-600 village settings with the right people, but not for large
>> urban areas where abilities are more difficult to match a variety of needs.
>>

>> Its also important any p2p advocate be very sensitive to the established
>> culture or spiritual beliefs; and try to understand them; and address the
>> practices members of the group care to better meet or exceed. After the
>> advocate is well established in the community then talk of other areas may
>> be appropriate. (The term 'p2p colonialist' comes to mind... ;p We're the
>> GOOD colonialists! ;p I would only jest on this if no other approach
>> worked.)
>>
>> Our foundation needs to place a fairly rigorous amount of attention toward
>> describing how p2p technology differs from mass production technology. P2P
>> advocacy ensures self sufficiency by sharing knowledge and other resources
>> in commons. Demonstrating good technologies like mesh network communications
>> and solar power energy devices (for example) easy to personally fabricate
>> and maintain by the community itself will go a long way in influencing this
>> very important movement and potential partner.
>>

>> Nathan
>>

>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Dante-Gabryell Monson <
>> dante.monson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I ask myself : Which existing ecovillages would identify to " p2p meme"
>>> approaches ,
>>> or be interested in integrating such memes ?

>>> Dante