[p2p-research] mass production and p2p production, was ecovillage and communities

Nathan Cravens knuggy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 11:10:56 CEST 2009

Hi Franz,

I'd prefer to acknowledge my own judgment toward the appropriate
distribution of my writings, but I do want that judgment to be as agreeable
as possible. Thanks for your blessing. ;)

In this age and capacity it must, especially if the product can mass
produce, become fully automated at costs less than employing people to
perform the same repetitive tasks. In this way, if someone in the community
wants to learn how products are made in a factory, they may go and learn
from the web interface onsight how to fabricate the device or outcome.
The first generation of these factories may have a robotic arm on wheels
with a laptop attached that follows or leads you around expressing how parts
are assembled on the screen in the way the particular person can understand.
If the person is blind or deaf, a pad with Braille will explain the room and
the objects within it as they occur.  For the deaf only, highly visual
representations will compensate for products that have otherwise
unrecognizable audible expressions. (I'm becoming very interested in
learning Braille when imagining the device that communicates in this way,
because essentially all you do is place your hand on a dynamic pad that
creates the surfaces as if they were swept from left to right as they would
from a static surface. This means for those with sight can have the ability
to better absorb knowledge if they can both read visual text
and receive Braille simultaneously! To do this would only require a sensor
to follow eye movement on what text is being read to output the appropriate
Braille expression. You might set your Braille output to nudge you along if
your eyes wonder from the text surface. Neat! ;p)

In my critical view, 'worker's collectives' or 'worker owned factories' are
simply a milder or mutual form of exploitation. The profits may directly
return to the worker, but if the worker must depend on income or ration
units to remain a participant of resource rights, (the economy) the
collective will be persuaded to neglect the means to fully automate process
or enable the product user to personally fabricate to ensure the right to
participation within that tyrannous exchange trade framework. (I view any
form of exchange trade tyrannous as I hope any post-scarcity theorist might)

Nathan