[p2p-research] Evidence-based: Web 2.0 in Medicine

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 22:13:05 CEST 2009

P2P Medicine continues to grow..

Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: Evidence-based: Web 2.0 in
Medicine via ScienceRoll by berci.mesko at gmail.com (Bertalan Meskó) on
9/12/09

There are more and more articles published in peer-reviewed journals
that focus on how web 2.0 can be used in medicine:

- [Legal aspects of Web 2.0 in the health field.]
The National Board of Physicians has developed specific ethical
guidelines for web sites devoted to health issues and specifically for
physician-authored content. The National Board of Physicians
acknowledges that physicians can present themselves, their office, and
their specific practice on their web site, notwithstanding any
restrictions otherwise applicable to advertising.

- Knowledge Sharing for Pediatric Pain Management via a Web 2.0
Framework.
We are using collaborative technologies, in the realm of Web 2.0, to
develop a web-based knowledge sharing medium for fostering a community
of pediatric pain practitioners that engages in collaborative learning
and problem solving. We present the design and use of a web portal
featuring a discussion forum to facilitate experiential knowledge
sharing based on our LINKS knowledge sharing model.

- An Analysis of Personal Medical Information Disclosed in YouTube
Videos Created by Patients with Multiple Sclerosis.
We selected a random sample of 25 out of 769 Multiple Sclerosis
patient-generated videos and analyzed their corresponding 557 comments
for health information. 320 comments met the inclusion criteria and 70
contained personal health information (PHI). Comments with PHI were
sub-characterized for the type of medical information (i.e., diagnosis,
date of diagnosis, medication, among others). In this descriptive
study, we present the strata within this content and postulate some of
the corresponding patient risks and ethical challenges associated with
Patient-Generated Content found in YouTube video comments.

- Web-based resources for peer support – opportunities and challenges.
Social software and Web 2.0 provides new opportunities for
participation and collaborative knowledge construction in peer support
and self-care to live well despite transient or permanent health
problems. Opportunities include many to many interactions to share and
accumulate knowledge and experiences from several perspectives. We are
conducting a study to create a collaborative environment for peer
support and knowledge construction related to a rare condition.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to ScienceRoll using Google Reader
favorite sites