[p2p-research] The Whale Oil Peak Curve

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Sep 10 21:46:24 CEST 2009

Echoing curves for nuclear materials that Ryan linked to: :-)
   http://www.bythefault.com/2008/05/14/the-whale-oil-peak-curve/
"""
The American whaling industry rose from modest beginnings in the late 18th
century to become an international giant to feed a growing demand for whale
oil for lamps and industrial lubricants. The peak year was 1846 when 735
ships and 70,000 people served the industry out of New England ports such as
New Bedford and Salem. As whale stocks and reserves decreased, whalers were
forced to go farther and farther from their New England home ports.
Increasingly whalers were forced to round Cape Horn and venture to far off
and desolate locations such Hawaii (whaling led to New England missionaries
and the rest is as they say is history), Guerrero Negro on the Baja coast
and up to the Bering Strait.
   By 1850s the voyages became longer, and risks on required
return-on-investment became higher. The peak of production in 1846-47 led to
the price of whale skyrocketing in 1855. That lag is similar to one we are
seeing now in oil and related fossil fuels. The easy money of Atlantic and
Pacific whaling was no more: the only remaining profitable ventures were to
Arctic and Antarctic waters. Many ships returned empty, if at all. In 1871,
most of the Arctic whaling fleet was crushed by early winter ice and lost at
sea. This calamity, in conjunction with the long-term diminishing whale
stocks, the diversion of investment capital to more profitable ventures, and
the discovery, development, and refinement of abundant petroleum crude oil,
struck the death blow to the American whaling industry. By 1890, less than
200 whaling vessels remained in operation. In 1971, the American whaling
industry ceased to exist primarily due to pressure from environmentals
groups. Today only the Japanese, Norwegians and Icelanders have any
commercial whaling under the guise of scientific studies. A few other
societies still engage in whale hunts, most notably the Innuit and the
Faeroese but these are primarily are for whale meat.
"""

And now we see the same as renewables replace fossil fuels:
   http://www.earth-policy.org/index.php?/books/pb3/pb3ch12_intro
"The Plan B goals for developing renewable sources of energy by 2020 that
are laid out in this chapter are based not on what is conventionally
believed to be politically feasible, but on what we think is needed to
prevent irreversible climate change. This is not Plan A, business as usual.
This is Plan B—a wartime mobilization, an all-out response proportionate to
the threat that global warming presents to our future.
   Can we expand renewable energy use fast enough? We think so. Recent
trends in the use of mobile phones and personal computers give a sense of
how quickly new technologies can spread. Once cumulative mobile phone sales
reached 1 million units in 1986, the stage was set for explosive growth, and
the number of cell phone subscribers doubled in each of the next three
years. Over the next 12 years the number of people owning a mobile phone
more than doubled every two years. By 2001 there were 995 million cell
phones—a 1,000-fold increase in just 15 years. As of 2007, there were more
than 2 billion cell phone subscribers worldwide.
   Sales of personal computers followed a similar trajectory. In 1983
roughly a million were sold, but by 2003 the figure was an estimated 160
million—a 160-fold jump in 20 years. We are now seeing similar growth
figures for renewable energy technologies. Sales of solar cells are doubling
every two years, and the annual growth in wind generating capacity is not
far behind. Just as the information and communications economies have
changed beyond recognition over the past two decades, so too will the energy
economy over the next decade."

So, we're seeing growth in coal and oil of around 1% a year (if that, it
seems to be falling due to the recession) but wind and solar are growing at
closer to 30% a year. Still, coal and oil have a big head start. But these
trends if continued for twenty years or so will see us going towards all
renewables. But, it is still a long way to grow from small percentages.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_energy_resources_and_consumption

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/