[p2p-research] Long-distance commuting and social connections and alternatives

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Sep 10 14:28:12 CEST 2009

 From 2006:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6290776
"""
The Transportation Research Board released a study this week based on U.S.
Census data, which shows Americans are increasingly working outside their
county of residence. The study reports "extreme" commutes of 60 minutes
climbing by 50 percent between 1990 and 2000.
   When it comes to the areas with the longest commutes, there are few real
surprises -- New York, Chicago and Los Angeles top the list. The Washington,
D.C., metro area, however, is a sort of first of worst commutes, with the
largest number of commutes that take 90 minutes or more. The study shows a
rising number of people leaving their homes at 5 to 6:30 a.m., compared to
previous decades.
   In 1990, New York was the only state with 10 percent of its commuters
traveling an hour to the city. By 2000, New Jersey, Maryland and Illinois
also had 10 percent of commuters traveling for 60 minutes to work.
"""

Longer commutes is another factor in why face-to-face peer-to-peer
activities in the USA have declined:
"The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Commuter" Robin Moroney
http://blogs.wsj.com/informedreader/2007/04/09/americas-commutes-arent-worth-it/
"""
Generally, “every ten minutes of commuting results in 10% fewer social
connections,” says Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam. People tend to
undervalue those losses. Attempts to put them in money terms have shown them
to be large. Two economists at the University of Zurich found in a lifestyle
survey of Germans three years ago that an hour-long commute requires a 40%
boost in salary to keep the commuters as “satisfied” with their lives as
non-commuters.
   Postwar zoning laws take a lot of the blame for the sprawl that has
driven up commutes. Mr. Putnam points out, thanks to the division of cities
into commercial, residential and industrial districts, it can often take an
hour or two to travel between those three points. For this reason, many
planning experts are pushing for the removal of zoning restrictions to bring
the places people eat, shop, and work closer together. Local officials have
yet to show much enthusiasm for the idea. Mr. Paumgarten declares Atlanta
“the purest specimen of a vexed commuter town.” thanks to its paltry public
transport and a sprawl unrestricted by mountains or the sea. Traveling 10
miles can take 45 minutes. He suspects residents of New York’s affluent
Bronxville have the most enviable commute in America: a 28-minute ride to
Grand Central Terminal, with many commuters then needing only to walk down a
tunnel to reach their offices.
"""

Note that new Greyhound buses have WiFi and electrical outlets (so virtual
peer-to-peer might increase)
   http://www.greyhound.com/HOME/en/NewBuses.aspx
"We've put a brand-new spin on the idea of the wireless router. Now you can
access the Internet super highway from the regular highway. Check e-mail.
Upload photos. Download content. All from the comfort of your seat. All for
free."

However, many long distance commuters use that time to fitfully sleep, so
it's not clear if that will increase online peer-to-peer activities.

Also, because long distance commuting is so stressful, such
peer-interactions may be problematical:
   http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=commuting-takes-its-toll
"""
Commuting exacts considerable stress on the human mind and body and on
family relationships. All the stressors, day in and day out, take their
toll. Each added travel minute correlates with an increase in health
problems. Several studies have shown that long-distance commuters suffer
from psychosomatic disorders at a much higher rate than people with short
trips to work. Physical symptoms range from headaches and backaches to
digestive problems and high blood pressure. Mental ills include sleep
disturbances, fatigue and concentration problems. Commuters who drive have
it especially hard--bad weather, traffic jams and accidents all cause
stress. ...
   More neglected, perhaps, are family, friends and hobbies. A 2001 study by
Norbert Schneider, a sociology professor at the University of Mainz in
Germany, reported in depth on 65 long-distance commuters and the spouses or
domestic partners of 45. Almost 60 percent of the workers complained that
they had no time to pursue their own interests--no sports, no clubs, not
even an occasional outing with friends.
   Furthermore, when the people with families finally got home they often
had insufficient time for spouses and children. Spending open-ended time
playing with the kids or cultivating a shared hobby with a spouse could
happen only on weekends or vacations. Interestingly, two thirds of the
spouses and partners felt that they were just as burdened--or even more
so--noting that they essentially had to take care of all family duties and
household chores themselves. Often they managed this task only by sharply
curtailing their own professional obligations and personal interests.
Perhaps Schneider's deeper finding was that one third of the spouses and
partners felt the negatives of a long commute simply were not worth the
positives.
"""

Longer commutes can also help explain why so many US organizations (both big
corporations and government) are increasingly dysfunctional, since many
workers are poorly rested and unhappy from long commutes.

Came across this as I was just looking at a job doing open source
educational 3D graphics things in Java about engineering (at a good pay
rate), but it is unfortunately four hours away (each way).
   http://www.concord.org/
   http://www.concord.org/about/opportunities/3Dprogjuly09.pdf
But it's great for anyone who lives in the Boston area or can relocate.
That's the way a non-profit should be IMHO -- getting grants to make useful
stuff that is free for all. Unfortunately, moving within the USA is also
tough right now due to slow home sales. (And personally, if I was going to
move, I'd prefer a state with better pro-homeschooling laws. :-)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/724237/which_states_have_the_best_homeschooling.html?cat=17

But the fact is, even if I moved to the Boston areas, it is very expensive
to live there, so I'd be facing a long commute even then to get affordable
housing.

In general, the solution I see is that the USA needs more cities. :-)

Seriously, we need to bulldoze suburbs and start upgrading those and towns
into cities (or build new cities). The upgraded towns should of course be
designed in a sustainable way and with mixed-use zoning. One person who
suggested such:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Jacobs
More ideas:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_city

Mass transit would help too. I've been reading James P. Hogan's "The Two
Faces of Tomorrow" to my child (slightly editid) and there is a scene there
about "autocabs" that you get into individually but will form up into trains
running through high speed maglev tubes, and would get you door-to-door from
New York City to Washington, D.C. in twenty minutes (when that now takes
several hours). That book was perhaps the first one I read gave me a
detailed vision of what a better society with better but realistic
technology could look like, as well as long-lasting concerns about computing
singularities. Online here:
http://www.webscription.net/10.1125/Baen/0671878484/0671878484.htm

The related description:
   http://www.webscription.net/10.1125/Baen/0671878484/0671878484.htm
"""
The next morning Dyer and Richter met as arranged, boarded an autocab and
specified the Department of Communications and Information Management
Headquarters, Washington, D.C., as their destination. The cab navigated
Manhattan and was pipelined across to New Jersey along one of a battery of
ten monorails suspended in a single span four hundred feet above the Hudson.
There it turned south and merged with forty-nine other cabs to form a train
which accelerated as one unit into the New York-Washington tube, through
which it hurtled in vacuum, riding on magnetic suspension at speeds touching
800 mph for most of the way. At the far end the train broke up to become
independent cabs once again, which dispersed into the Washington local
system. Twenty minutes after leaving New York, Dyer and Richter were in an
elevator ascending from the autocab terminal located below the CIM HQ building.
"""

So, I'm guessing such a system might let me commute in a "green" way from
the NY Adirondack Park to outside Boston in half an hour, while I caught up
on the p2plist. :-)

Probably the USA needs one hundred new small cities (guessing) as well as
such a more dynamic mass transit system as above. And there are fifteen
million unemployed people in the USA, many who would be happy to build all
that, and trillions of dollars sloshing around to pay them, judged by the
recent banking bailout. And, a basic income would ensure people could move
to these new cities at first. So, plenty of resources.

And plenty of land for all that, considering how US population density is
about one-tenth Europe's:
http://www.westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm
"Developed Land- Despite all the hand wringing over sprawl and urbanization,
only 66 million acres are considered developed lands. This amounts to 3
percent of the land area in the U.S., yet this small land base is home to 75
percent of the population. In general, urban lands are nearly useless for
biodiversity preservation. Furthermore, urbanized lands, once converted,
usually do not shift to another use. ... The USDA report concludes that
urbanization and rural residences (subdivisions) "do not threaten the U.S.
cropland base or the level of agricultural production." This does not mean
sprawl doesn't have impacts where it occurs. But the notion that sprawl is
the greatest threat to biodiversity is absolutely false. ..."

Until then, it will be a perennial problem that most non-profits pay less
but locate themselves in expensive areas to live (Boston, New York,
Washington D.C., San Francisco). So, in general the only people who can
afford to participate in them without tragic commutes are well off already,
sometimes the twenty-something crowd, or those with two working parents
(usually one as professional who has bought into the system).

So, peer-to-peer ideas eventually provides an alternative to that scene,
both in terms of things happening over the internet, and also other broader
social changes like Hogan or Jacobs or others envisoned that might make
face-to-face work easier.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/