[p2p-research] Capitalism is evil, says new Michael Moore film & Obama's health care speech

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Sep 10 03:52:58 CEST 2009

From:
   "Capitalism is evil, says new Michael Moore film | Lifestyle | Reuters"
   http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE5850F320090906
"""
VENICE (Reuters) - Capitalism is evil. That is the conclusion U.S.
documentary maker Michael Moore comes to in his latest movie "Capitalism: A
Love Story," which premieres at the Venice film festival Sunday.
   Blending his trademark humor with tragic individual stories, archive
footage and publicity stunts, the 55-year-old launches an all out attack on
the capitalist system, arguing that it benefits the rich and condemns
millions to poverty.
   "Capitalism is an evil, and you cannot regulate evil," the two-hour movie
concludes.
   "You have to eliminate it and replace it with something that is good for
all people and that something is democracy."
"""

By the way, the US president's speech (prepared version) on health care reform:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/us/politics/10obama.text.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

My summary of plan without the spin:
* a regressive compulsory head tax on the young and less affluent;
* more profits for insurers and drug companies;
* a statement that incurring public debts for war and bailouts are OK, but
incurring debts to invest in public health are wrong;
* health care should be "affordable" but not a "human right" (at a time when
30 million US Americans either have no job or are underemployed, so, there
are about 90 million increasing desperate people in the USA if, say, three
people average per family);
* no mention of new investment in medical research to cut costs;
* giving old people acting like teenagers health care at high cost is a
"sacred trust" passed across generations, but giving health care to real
teenagers and young adults in the next generation is unethical (because it
interferes with the free market); and
* everything hits the fan after Obama's first term is over, and most
uninsured people can twist in the wind until then.

Now, maybe it is not as bad as all that. I can hope. There is a little talk
about a cheaper public plan and tax credits, but no specifics. But, sadly,
about what one might expect from a center-right president owned by banks and
insurers and big corporations, and not too different from previous
proposals. Why am I so dopey to keep having hope in this guy?

I voted for Cynthia McKinney, so I'm probably not typical, :-) but I predict
many Democrats stay home in future elections...

So, what Republican is getting selected for an eight year term to counter
growing unrest in 2012? :-(
"Top Five 2012 Republican Presidential Hopefuls"
http://minor-ripper.blogspot.com/2008/10/top-five-2012-republican-presidential.html
Looks like another Bush?
"#2. Jeb Bush: Yes, as astonishing and surreal as it might seem, America
stands a decent chance of electing another Bush as its president, either in
2012 or 2016. He's widely known as having a vastly higher IQ than his elder
brother (but then again so does your average zoo animal), but the ex-two
time governor of Florida will no doubt suffer major consequences of 'Bush
fatigue' among the populace--I mean if Americans elect another Bush, the
country truly is a glutton for punishment. Stranger things have happened,
though, and the guy is loved by the right..."

Maybe we'll see health reform in 2020? :-(

But I predict maybe the fall of capitalism before that from solar energy,
wind power, and 3D printing? :-)

Or maybe not. We'll see.

Or, as I linked to before, this Dilbert cartoon is all too true, and is even
understated; after this speech, it seems clear that Google is the new
national health service in the USA for many people:
   http://www.ginside.com/content/2007/03/dilbert-google-heatlh-plan.jpg

But, as a realist, I have to accept that is the state of things in the USA.
So, the issue is where do we go from here in the USA? Well, maybe better
peer-to-peer software could make that peer health plan work better? If
that's all we have, maybe we should make the most of it?

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/