[p2p-research] EU FP7 Public Sector of the Future

Phoebe pvm.doc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:06:59 CEST 2009

Hi!

Thanks for the emails, and I've emailed all on the FP7 googledocument but I
can also create a separate one.

proposals, and we'll need to narrow down the remit considerably. Michel's
suggestion for 'public/state support for social innovation by civil society'
is a broad category that sort of fits in to what is asked within the Public
Sector of the Future remit, and I remind him and other participants that the
*FP7 Cooperation Work Programme: Socio-Economic Sciences and the Human*ities
document

http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/dc/index.cfm?fuseaction=UserSite.FP7DetailsCallPage&call_id=253&act_code=SSH&ID_ACTIVITY=8#infopack

sets out clearly what is expected. I emphasised this section (more pasted
below):

>Research should:
- Assess comparatively and, as much as possible quantitatively, the impact
of these "New Public Management" reforms on some important policy domains
such as, for instance, education, health, water, energy and transport, and
study whether they have been effective in delivering services compared to
previous policies and taking into account and responding to the needs of
citizens/users for social cohesion.

Finding and making comparative analyses toward public support for social
innovation will be appropriate as a part of the proposal, but we need to
narrow our focus to aspects of the public sector i.e. 'important policy
domains such as, for instance, education, health, water, energy and
transport'.

Any thoughts?

Phoebe

2009/9/9 Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

> [...]
>> achieve a critical mass of resources and involve relevant communities,
>> stakeholders, and practitioners in the research, with a view to assessing
>> the potential for innovations in public services and the likely changes
>> brought by such innovations in the organisation and size of public services.
>>
>> Topics for small or medium-scale focused research projects:
>> SSH.2010.1.3-1 The public sector of the future
>> The European public sector (civil services and public utilities depending
>> on national and local definitions) has undergone major structural changes in
>> the last three decades under the influence of what has been dubbed as "New
>> Public Management", mainly inspired from a number of private management
>> models and practices. This transformation has entailed
>> important changes in the modes and instruments of public services
>> delivery, the tasks and
>> identity of civil servants, and the role of the state or local
>> authorities. "New Public Management" has often been criticised for mimicking
>> or lagging behind private management
>> without due recognition to the specificities of public services and for
>> being inward-looking
>> and as such ignoring the wider implications of the public sector policy
>> for social cohesion.
>> New approaches to the public sector, including contributions from
>> humanities, are therefore
>> needed and should enable to build public services that will address
>> effectively issues of social cohesion in the EU.
>>
>> Page 13 of 62
>>
>> Research should:
>> - Assess comparatively and, as much as possible quantitatively, the impact
>> of these "New Public Management" reforms on some important policy domains
>> such as, for instance, education, health, water, energy and transport, and
>> study whether they have been effective in delivering services compared to
>> previous policies and taking into account and responding to the needs of
>> citizens/users for social cohesion.
>>
>> - Given the weight of these policies and the need for social innovation
>> with regard to new
>> social demands reflecting increasingly diverse citizens' life courses and
>> other social and
>> economic evolutions, also assess the potential for innovations in the
>> public services for
>> improved social cohesion, through relevant empirical studies of a number
>> of innovative
>> practices in public services. It should study how such innovations serve
>> the goals of social
>> cohesion or improve social cohesion and how they could impact on the size
>> and cost of the
>> public sector, the role, tasks and work organisation of civil and public
>> servants, the size of
>> private provision of public services in some sectoral policies, as well as
>> the relationships
>> between the public sector, politicians and citizens.

Employment profile: http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/page/Phoebe_Moore

JCEPS--my recent article: UK Education, Employability and Everyday Life
http://www.jceps.com/index.php?pageID=article&articleID=151

Media Ecologies workshop, Nov 2009, Manchester
http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/sssi/p2p/

Manchester Film Cooperative: http://www.manchesterfilm.coop/