[p2p-research] EU FP7 Public Sector of the Future

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:38:02 CEST 2009

Dear PHoebe,

I didn't see your comments in the document, so I'm answering them here,
could you create a special google group for this intiative, so we don't have
to bother the whole p2p research with details?

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM, <pvm.doc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've shared a document with you:
>
> EU FP7 Public Sector of the Future
>
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARaYViL59NNLYWpiOHZwa3B2M25qXzYyY3FycWpnaGc&hl=en
>
> It's not an attachment -- it's stored online at Google Docs. To open this
> document, just click the link above.
>
> Dear all
>

> Salford University is willing to be classified as the 'Leader' of the
> project, and this means I will in effect manage the process. I am recruiting
> Phil Smith to participate with me directly toward this process (due first
> week of February 2010) as he lives here in Manchester.
>
> I have met with Germaine, University of Salford's Research Officer, and we
> will be proceeding with the relevant activities.  NW Development Agency
> provides a very good step by step guide for applications.
>
> Salford University has been chosen to host the following UK Research Office
> FP7 Proposal Writing Training Event (all welcome!)...
>
> http://www.ukro.ac.uk/subscriber_services/events/0910_events/index.htm#0910_pw
>
> The first thing we need to do, however, is to decide exactly which area of
> the public sector we want to focus on. There are several suggestions for
> topics as well as sectors of the public sector in the '2010 Work Programme',
> and I have highlighted below the section that we should address at this very
> preliminary stage. Due to our backgrounds and areas of research I'd suggest
> we look at education and skills and Lisbon Agenda processes as an area of
> analysis. Any other suggestions are very welcome of course!!!!
>
> Minutes from Meeting:
>
>    * decide on what aspect/s of the public sector you will be focussing on:
> base this on the expertise of your “core” colleagues and then build a
> consortium that’s fills the gaps

I would insist strongly that the core topic for us would be public/state
support for social innovation by civil society

>    * think about the geographical spread of the consortium. The EC like to
> see a broad geographical coverage. Currently partners are biased towards NW
> Europe but given the political background of central/Eastern Europe and the
> comparisons and insights that can be drawn there, it seems evident that the
> involvement of institutions there would be extremely beneficial

I can find partners elswhere I think, I copying andrew in finland, pavlos in
greece,

>    * try and have partners with some FP7 experience as the Commission will
> look at this (and it will no doubt make your life easier!). Also, there is
> increasing emphasis on Impact so having partners with a range of contacts
> and experience in dissemination is good. Think about the possible
> involvement of ‘end users’ as well as universities

the greek partner, cc pavlos of the re-public group, clearly seem to have
that experience

>    * the current ideas circulating mainly focus on the second aspect of the
> what the Work Programme says the research should include i.e. the assessment
> of innovative practices and the more “forward looking” angle. A project
> should also address the comparative assessment of existing reforms.

yes, I think we should focus on that forward looking angle, with policies
like the one in Brest etc..

--
Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: