[p2p-research] never mind policy can filtering technology stop p2p?

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:31:13 CEST 2009

> On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:29:03AM +0100, Tomas Rawlings wrote:
>
>  > I agree - not only that we'd see an evolution of that method; using cheap
>  > and huge USB drives to swap and explosion of using online storage for
>  > swapping, using darknets (private p2p networks) and so on.
>  >
>  > I am interested to know if anyone has any links as to technically how such
>  > a system as being suggested by the British government and copyright lobby
>  > would be implemented?
>

> Easy. Mandatory ID (via smartcards) to go online, packet traceability (against
>  mix cascades), encryption escrow or outright outlawed encryption, personalized
>  watermarks, draconian legislation to enforce above.
>
>  If they could mandate end to end encryption with DRM into your retina or
>  cochlea (the last analog hole), they would go for it.

I recall a satirical piece at a now-defunct blog, several years ago,
that deserved to be in The Onion.  Orrin Hatch was sponsoring
legislation that would mandate technology in all hard drives to burn
out the retinas of anyone who looked at pirated content.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he actually did it--he's one of the
worst Copyright Nazis in
Congress.

Every time I see one of those CNN bits about the lost culture of
agreeableness and courliness in the Senate, he's featured as one of
the old-time "Mr. Nice Guys" that people in both parties just love to
pieces.  As for me, I'd like to give him a bicycle chain across the
eyes and curb-stomp him (Disclaimer for jackboots--I have no intention
of doing so, and do not solicit anyone else to do so).

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism