[p2p-research] What's different about this economic downturn? -- the severe unemployment

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:24:02 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Kevin Carson <
free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the end, almost the entire manufacturing economy will be in small
> shops with entry costs in the few thousands of $$ and virtually zero
> overhead.  Most value creation will be either through part-time
> employment in such industry or unmonetized production in the
> household/informal sector.

This is supposedly the way the Italian economy has worked for a generation.
Precision eyeglass frames are made in basements and sold to Gucci to avoid
the tax man.

China already does a lot of this.  I was reading about a smaller city in
China that makes 50% of the world's socks...if you are wearing them now,
chances are they were made in that town.

Ryan