[p2p-research] What's different about this economic downturn? -- the severe unemployment

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:06:50 CEST 2009

I wonder if anyone has seen the different documentaries on the Cuban
agricultural revolution?

Afther their own Peak Oil, they completely had to reconfigure agriculture,
to a knowledge-rich, but mostly organic model, which not only led to higher
productivity, urban agriculture that greened the cities, but a real rural
renaissance, and farmer coop members now earning twice as much as doctors
(these coops are independent, though regulated, from/by the state)

So in this case, in a scenario which ressembles what other countries are
going to go through, there is actually a revival of agricultural labour.

I'm remembering Sam suggesting a similar scenario for the U .S.

Again I therefore re-iterate, there's nothing 'automatic' about automation,
which may express itself quite differently in the future, especially in the
non-western world

and as Paul says, even a decline of 'jobs', doesn't destroy the need for
plentiful human activities ...

the jobless recovery is much less the result of automation, much more about
outsourcing the U.S. industrial production to cheap labour countries with
less automation than western countries (though they will eventually catch
up)

Japan, the most automated country in the world, has in fact increasing job
shortages in many sectors (though an increase in general unemployment after
this crisis)

again, and again, the simple equation automation = the end of work, is
simplistic, and not empirically validated,

Michel

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: