[p2p-research] What's different about this economic downturn? -- the severe unemployment

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 15:45:40 CEST 2009

Again, I doubt it.  Europe is still a hot bed for ugly
colonialism...particularly the UK and France.  Governments are regularly
corrupt in these countries in foreign dealings.  I think the Nordic nations
lead...along with New Zealand and a few others in good governance...but
there is still a lot of corruption...Sweden and Iceland both recently had
big bouts...and no one but Japan is more corrupt in their dealings on
fishing treaties than the Nordic nations...and it matters to them.

I agree there is little value in comparing cultures.  Feelings run deep even
for those who see themselves as internationalists.  But I always run into
the European perception that they are clean while the US is dirty.  I've had
the discussion with many experts...it just isn't so as understood in
academia and development economics.  Most development economists I know
think France is a great beast in the current world...Haiti, Francophone
Africa, etc.  But they present themselves as moral leaders.  Even Holland
still has some ugly issues in the Caribbean and Belgium has never stepped up
to its own responsibilities in the Congo.  The UK's failure in adequately
supporting the Commonweath goes without saying.  Spain really does a modicum
of work in the Spanish new world...it really is unfortunate.

US schools still overwhelmingly include more expats than Europe or anywhere
else.  American graduate schools train the best Indians, Koreans, Russians
and even Chinese now, regularly...it is a win/win, but some of that
knowledge filters back in huge ways...and the Chinese, Indians and Koreans
especially know this.

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham