[p2p-research] hacking the industrial mode of production

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 11:12:52 CEST 2009

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2007/03/interview-with-13.php

Hi Kevin, Eric,

thanks for looking to the above article and eventually commenting upon it
for our blog,

Michel

*Which conditions ensure that a lively network of pro-ams can thrive?*

[image: 0adventureeee4.jpg]Our purpose was not so much to look at the
fertilizers of pro-ams or “creative industries and creative class�? as in
the works of Richard Florida
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Florida>for example. Evren and I
tried to find way to map the so far unexplored
correlations between these networks and actors. But the sharing and
spreading of new ideas is central, not only through the Internet, but
socially. Various platforms, amplifiers and scenes are central for the
sharing of knowledge at this level and this is actually something that can
be supported beyond the “recreation�? or “hobby�? level it is perceived as
today.

But understanding this level of society is only in its cradle. We have spent
centuries optimizing industrialism and institutional capitalism and we still
lack models and maps for the low-level knowledge production.

*How can an expertise raised on non-profit and democratic principles meet
with capitalistic modes of production?*

Well this is something that we need time to understand and experiment with
and social entrepreneurship, activist business, and anti-preneurship are
just a first wave of experiments. Perhaps we need to once again look
seriously at local currencies and other means for exchange that can operate
on levels where global capitalism does not fit. We need more tools to see
how this works, it is apparent that there is no longer ONE public and ONE
market but multitudes of publics, markets, levels and networks in society,
and most probably we need several models to see them all. Not one theory
will explain it. Not one ring will rule them all.

*Any upcoming projects you could share with us?*

Selfpassage <http://www.selfpassage.org/> has a new collection
out<http://www.kulturservern.se/wronsov/selfpassage/aw07/aw07-1.htm>,
a cookbook to inspire and help you re-sew your old garments into new ones.
This autumn I will work with an exhibition in Istanbul on “Hackers and Haute
Couture Heretics�? exploring the interfaces between high fashion and the
fashion hackers and craftivist.

Evren and I will hold a summer course on social entrepreneurship and small
change methodologies. We will also arrange a workshop on the connection
between rural and urban modes to organize creative endeavors.

Everything we do is published in PDF-format and in copyleft so get inspired
and co-create - keep updated on the selfpassage<http://www.selfpassage.org/>and
roomservices <http://www.roomservices.org/> sites!

--
Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research: