[p2p-research] Information Feudalism

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 16:34:58 CEST 2009

> Information feudalism and permanent rent in the cloud
>
> Cory Doctorow?s editorial in the Guardian has an implicit warning.
> Cloud Computing may be the vehicle for extracting permanent financial
> rents, in a form of license-based feudalism. Cory also thinks it is
> unwise to rely on a corporate cloud in times of financial turbulence.

This is something that Paul Hartzog ( http://paulbhartzog.org/new/
)has thought about for close to 10 years, in the form of both "Peer
Net" distributed networking protocols, and "Knowledge Commons"
distributed database storage concepts that he's been working on.

We applied many of those concepts to the current work that we are doing.

One of the things that we want to do is include compatible open
standard specs for load balancing, distributed data integrity,
redundant synchronized mirroring/copying of data, etc

We're meeting with some veterans of Open Standards, and data
management to round out current FLOWS specification, and possibly map
out some of this new territory. Right now, FLOWS can allow for a
networked component to act as a "microservice". If there were a way
for many to mirror these "microservices", and systematically load
balance, plus allow for redundant failover, then it's possible now for
collaborative groups to provide service infrastructure that stands
outside of grid computing.

This doesn't solve the problem of where those "microservices" are
themselves hosted. But, practice of distributing a networked utility
redundantly across diverse networks really only then has a point of
failure of the whole internet itself collapsing.

Physical points of entry to the internet itself are largely corporate
controlled (although they don't currently exercise their full capacity
to control, they could). Software of course won't solve this problem.
And, I have not seen many efforts to think about how to solve this
problem, honestly.

I did see some really low cost ballon radio broadcasting circuits made
by these folks: http://stillepost.org/content/ and xbee radio/arduino
is cheap enough that it is possible that building blocks exist to make
a massively distributed mesh net (though I don't know how you cross
the oceans with this, maybe open source bouys, or submerged objects?)

Personally, I have come to be of the opinion that to influence change
of public policy, it is often needed to create the building blocks
needed to deploy the systems that you are interested in seeing. When
it is possible to create and deploy those systems, public policy
makers have at least a more difficult time arguing against them.

Thanks for the link, Alex.